Options for Hand Control Clutch on 1991 Celica ST

I have a friend who wants to sell me his 1991 Toyota Celica ST.

OK so I am disabled, I cannot operate a clutch in a manual. This has been since 12/2008. Before then I owned several manuals, my favorite was a 1992 Honda Accord 5 speed, that thing had serious power and pep.

Anyway... I have one leg so I can easily control the brake and gas... I rea lly want this Celica, just because it is almost classic and I've heard almo st nothing but good things about them! It looks fun and sporty, and the bo dy design is forward looking enough so that it almost looks as if it belong s here in the 10s.

So... a friend of mine has suggested he can put an automatic transmission i n it. For under 1000. That seems like a helluva deal -- he said he'd get the tranny from a junkyard or similar, which is fine with me if we have som e way of determining the miles or otherwise condition.

On the other hand won't that significantly degrade power and performance? The issue is, that I found a top notch hand clutch which was universal for around 8.5k to 10i which I just can't do. What can I get for significantly less? Just googling "hand clutch" etc is really difficult because its jus t one of those phrases that fits so many places outside of my search contex t... and my health insurance won't pay for this even though they spent $60,

000 on my Otto Bock 3d Helix bluetooth enabled passive multitasking prosthe sis, and they've spent over $500,000 on surgeries, over 5 months of hospita l stays at Johns Hopkins, George Washington Univ. Hosp, and then there's si x rounds of aggressive chemotherapy which each time lasted 72 hours non-sto p around the clock... etc... in light of all that cash, why not spring say 5k to get my car retrofitted???

Arrrgh -- what do ya's think? Manual-Auto? or, reasonable clutch conversi on options?

Reply to
Learning Richard

See if you can find a used one. I've seen them for $350 installed, but not for a few years.

And those were NEW!

Reply to
Hachiroku ハチロク