(OT:) 2 out of 3 geologists agree...

Global Warming is a made up myth.

I had an interesting day Friday: all my clients were Geologists. Two agreed with what I have been saying; that the current climtae change is a normal cycle of the earth, and will end in an ice age. Only one said that man had a great deal to do with it, but also admitted that the Earth is in a eccentric orbit around the sun, and that we may be in a cycle that is moving further away from the sun. Unfortunately, no one is measuring this.

Reply to
Hachiroku

So you talked with three geologists and think what those three said are in any way representative of geologists in general?

The Earth's orbit around the sun is eccentric. However, this means at some times of the year, (Jan. 3 or so is date the Earth is closest to the sun), the Earth is as closer to the sun as it gets and around July

4, the sun is as far away from the earth as it gets. This is all because the sun's orbit is an ellipse. So while the distance to sun changes throughout the year (and the amount of light changes by around 7%), the distance to the sun is not increasing or decreasing from year to year.

So what the third geologist said is nonsense.

Why don't you show us a scientifically done survey of geologists that shows that geologists don't think global warming is a result of man's activities?

Even President Bush agrees that Global Warming is real and affected by man.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

So, they didn't say global warming was a myth. They said the human connection to the phenomenon is debatable.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

No they said Global Warming is a myth. They said climate change is natural and follows a cycle of 10-15,000 years.

Just like I have been saying for almost a year...

Reply to
Hachiroku

There are plenty of them out there.

And you meantion the yearly orbit around the sun. This is not perfect by any means and has periods where the earth moves closer, and then starts to move further away for a period of time.

Just like you said, the Earth is closest to the sun around Jan 3. So why isn't it HOT in January? Because it takes some time for the heat to build up and dissipate.

This same phenonmenon applies to the way the Earth orbits the Sun. So the Earth is warming now, wich means we have already begun the swing in the orbit that takes us further away from the sun.

Better start buying blankets and coal now...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Nope. The reason is that in the northern hemisphere, in January we're at perihelion and tilted away from the sun, so its rays are not direct. This can be verified by the low position in the sky at noon when compared to summer. In the southern hemisphere it's now summer and they're tilted toward the sun. During our summer, the NH is tilted toward the sun, but we're at aphelion, with the SH tilted away during their simultaneous winter.

This explains why Aussie summers are more brutal than ours. Their summers are tilted toward the sun when we're at perihelion. IOW, a double-whammy.

Reply to
witfal

Well, Geologist studies rocks, well mostly =). They are not the

*experts* in global warming.
Reply to
EdV

Evidence please.

ROTFL.

It is hot in January. Very hot. In the southern hemisphere.

While the earth is closer to the sun in January, the major contribution to our seasons is the tilt of the Earth. So in the winter, the northern hemisphere gets less light and the light that does reach the north hemisphere is less direct. Both of these mean the sun is not as able to heat the northern hemisphere in the winter.

In the summer, the earth is tilted so that the northern hemisphere gets more light from the sun and the light is more direct.

You can find out more about this in Wikipedia, or many middle-school science texts.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

But, things ARE getting warmer, so global warming is NOT a myth. In your crazy little head, can we not use the precise words "global" and "warming" together without meaning "human involvement", which those words DO NOT MEAN?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

They are when their computer repairman won't shut up about it, so they'll say anything he wants to hear just to get him to leave already.

:-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

witfal

Funny.

Notice how hach types the words "global warming". He capitalizes them, as if they are proper nouns, like the name of an organization.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Funny.

Notice

Hey, he spells it correctly. Someone else who posts here regularly might spew "globbal warming" or "global warmming".

Bottom line: The earth has been going through climatic changes for millennia. Warm, cool, cold, cool, warm again.

Mars is doing the same exact thing as the earth right now. Unless some idiot wants to blame the two NASA rovers for the Martian global warming, I'd say that's pretty good evidence that humans aren't responsible for much, if any of it.

Reply to
witfal

Global warming is a natural cycle just as global cooling. However.. none of them can know if man is causing it or not. So when I hear someone say that man induced global warming is or is not real... i take it with a grain of salt...

Here is what we do know. Co2 is a greenhouse gas.. the more you put in the atmosphere.. the more the earth will warm. We dont know if we have released enough to make that process happen, but we do know its something we should avoid... so lets find capitalist friendly solutions to find clean energy regardless...

Reply to
Mr4701

We also know that CO2 is an acid - when dissolved in water, it forms carbonic acid. (When people don't breath well, like in pneumonia, they tend to get what is called respiratory acidosis - the blood becomes acidic, like a pH of 7 instead of the regular 7.4). This acid in the ocean is decreasing the pH of the surface of the ocean. This is not a good thing for coral reefs and other sea life.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Unfortunately, the standard response to this is "But my TV still works, so who cares?"

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

And why Antarctic winters are more brutal than Arctic winters.

Reply to
sharx35

PLEASE READ FOR COMPREHENSION!!!

We did NOT say that the earth wasn't warming...it is! We advocate that MOST of this warming is due to the natural cycle, NOT human involvement. The earth have been warming, then cooling for MILLIONS OF YEARS...for LONG before the first human walked its surface.

Reply to
sharx35

Precisely. Only self-serving LIEbrawls/DEMONrats try to keep that bandwagon on the tracks. Hint...it won't work, just like Kyoto will NEVER work. To those uninformed: the Kyoto Agreement places NO restrictions on China or India to control or reduce pollution--they are allowed to pollute to their hearts' content.

Reply to
sharx35

Wake UP!!!!!! So-called global warming/cooling was happening MILLIONS of years BEFORE there were any humans on earth. THAT is proof positive that the MAIN cause of global warming/cooling is NOT human-based.

Reply to
sharx35