OT 55 MPH Speed Limit A solution?

You drove 80 on I-91? Death wish? I left Stapleton once heading to Chicopee and hit a pothole near Enfield that broke the A-Frame on the rental I was driving.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

I'm not opposed to speed, and I'm NOT in favor of a 55 mph speed limit... however, with that said, it's almost statistically impossible for your statements to be accurate. And there's NO way a Scion (or any car) produces better gas mileage at 80 than at a lower speed. The resistance factor alone makes that exponentially impossible.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

sorry guys... I'm not in favor of 55 mpg, however, you WOULD get better gas mileage at 55, and even though the trip would take longer, you would have used less gas.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

The laws of physics are the same everywhere on earth, except in Hach's skull, where you can hear the sound of the ocean. Or, the wind.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You could have wrote a lot less if you simply just said that you hope Obama sheds the constitution even more than Bush has.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

I'm whining now, I was whining when Clinton was president, and I will whine when Obama or McCain get the presidency. That's the joy of being an independent instead of a lemming.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

Really? Care to post some numbers to back up your claim? Start with this: How much better gas mileage? Say you get 30 at 70. How much better at 55 on average?

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Yeah, strange huh? We can disagree on politics and still agree on Toyota and science.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Do you think a car sitting idling uses gas? Just curious.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

In _THIS_ _ONE_ case, he's actually correct. With computer controls and fuel injection, cars run far more efficiently than before. Especially if they're not speeding up and slowing down. If you drive

500 miles at 70 vs 500 miles at 55, you do it in less time. The engine's computer helps it get nearly the same gas mileage but the difference in time makes the slower speed more wasteful.

If you made the same trip at 30mph, you'd waste even more fuel. Add to that the human factor. The longer the trip takes, the more likely you are to stop along the way. Got kids? You know what I mean. When you slow down, you have to come back up to speed. Even from 0 to 55 uses more fuel than cruising at 55 or at 70.

You need to take EVERYTHING into account, not just the difference mpg.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

It's been years. Many years.

Hehehe. The resurfaced VT? All of it?

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

I've whined much more about Bush than I did for Clinton. I didn't whine as much about the first Bush. I'm sure I'd whine as much about McCain as for Bush and I -->believe

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Moe

Yeah - "How to Pick Up Girls"

Book won't help, car too dorky.

Reply to
MaceFace

It's proof hookers will tell you anything you want to hear, and Hachi has a wierd gas mileage fetish.

Reply to
MaceFace

Libertarians are closer to having it right than those who currently call themselves republicans and WAY closer to having it right than democrats. I was pushing for Ron Paul though, the only real republican running.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

Is that the kind of reasoning you've relied upon in life? Every auto engineer understands the fundamentals of propulsion and friction enough to know that passenger cars use more fuel at 70 MPH than 50 MPH.

Irrelevant to the fuel economy discussion.

But don't express your love here.

Post scans of the pages. Flickr.com will work.

Here's a graph from the feds that shows fuel economy drops at higher speeds, and you can't argue with it because it's based on your own driving (ankle bracelet GPS tracking):

larry moe 'n curly

Keep saying that as you click your red shoes, Dorothy.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Republican Senator John Warner has produced reducing the speed limit because a 55 MPH top speed would likely reduce oil consumption by

600,000 barrels a day, or almost 3%, and that could be implemented almost immediately, unlike increasing domestic supply.

Auto makers don't want increased economy standards because they don't want to see the markup on vehicles to drop from $5,000 for SUVs and trucks to $0 for small cars. They'll have to bring out expensive small cars, as BMW did with the Mini Cooper.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Barack Obama is still better than your favorite presidential candidates, Jack Daniels (incumbent) and Johnny Walker.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly