{OT} alternative to killing babies

Stem cell researchers reacted with enthusiasm and reservations to a report that scientists have found stem cells in amniotic fluid, a discovery that would allow them to sidestep the controversy over destroying embryos for research.

Researchers at Wake Forest University and Harvard University reported Sunday that the stem cells they drew from amniotic fluid donated by pregnant women hold much the same promise as embryonic stem cells.

They reported they were able to extract the stem cells from the fluid, which cushions babies in the womb, without harm to mother or fetus and turn their discovery into several different tissue cell types, including brain, liver and bone.

-------------------

Looks like another excuse to killing babies is being eliminated by those who love life. The abortion crowd will have to circle the wagons for a spin on this one.

It looks like President Bush was right not to allow federal funding of stem cell research in the form it had been presented to him. He did say there were alternatives available and he forced researchers to look harder.

Reply to
badgolferman

Jesus H, you fanatics really stoop to low levels to try to claim any kind of moral position. Do you really, truly, hand-on-heart think this result happened because of the fantacism of so-called "pro lifers"? You think research on stem cells (which Dubya has done so much to impede) is done by folk who don't care about the embryos they work with? In the UK (to which some US researchers have been forced to flee to do stem cell work), a major theme of this news story has been the joy on the part of the researchers, that they now have an alternative -- they no longer must agonise over which should be saved: the embryo; or the grown individuals whose lives are in danger.

That you seek to score petty (and worthless) political points in the face of such joyous news -- and lie while doing it -- pushes you deep down in the pond scum. For decency's sake, grow up!

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

They have to do what they can considering their "moral position" was smoke and mirrors to begin with.

Reply to
Truckdude

First of all, it "excuse FOR", not "excuse TO".

Now: Are you suggesting that some women have abortions because they want to assist in stem cell research? You seem to be implying some connection between the two things.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I can't speak for the UK, but in the US the abortion crowd was telling us constantly that embryonic stem cells were going to be the cure-all for every disease known to mankind (just exaggerating a bit) and that not federally funding it would push us back into the Dark Ages of medicine.

This story highlights that there are always alternatives to killing babies, whatever the circumstances. Stem Cell research is on the fast track even though President Bush would not sign the bill to fund it federally.

Reply to
badgolferman

Again: Are you suggesting that the reason some women have abortions is to supply stem cell researchers?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Here we go with the interrogations again...

No, I do not suggest such at all. I suggest the abortion lobby has lost another argument.

Reply to
badgolferman

Interrogations? Nobody's allowed to question you? Or, is there a list of permissible questions? Post it.

Now: You or someone pretending to be you said this:

"Looks like another excuse to killing babies is being eliminated by those who love life."

If you think that doesn't suggest some sort of perverse market for dead babies, just say so. I'll print it and ask my son to show it to two English teachers. We'll see what they think.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Go ahead. Maybe you'll learn something. Apparently learned researchers have.

Reply to
badgolferman

Are you saying that your sentence did NOT draw a connection between women's decisions and stem cell research?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

How about commenting on the article itself and dropping the Gestapo tactics?

Reply to
badgolferman

They are not gestapo tactics, although I can see that my question annoys you because I'm asking whether YOU agree with what YOU wrote. Or, I need to know if I'm misinterpreting it.

So, first: I think it's cool that they can get stem cells from amnionic fluid. However, it is not free of risk, but that's not a big deal.

Now, back to what you wrote. You seem to be saying that some women decide to have an abortion because they look forward to donating biological material to researchers. If I've got it wrong, then please explain what you MEANT to say.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Good, then you like the idea of moving forward with this type of research rather than harvesting dead babies.

I already answered that question at 2:11:35 ET.

Reply to
badgolferman

I saw that. It doesn't make sense. The abortion lobby doesn't defend the practice because it provides a nice supply of material for research. They defend the practice because certain decisions are to remain private.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

They want federally funded stem cell research from harvested dead babies because in their minds it justifies continued legalization of abortion. They are running out of reasons why abortion-on-demand should be legal and are looking for ways to continue population control.

Reply to
badgolferman

I'd like to read more about that. Which organization do you feel states that most clearly as their policy?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Good source! It also said this, which, in my mind, blows golf boy's premise out of the water (not a very difficult task, admittedly):

"Although opponents of abortion have charged that the option of fetal tissue donation will cause women to choose abortion, this fear is unfounded. The truth is, there is no evidence that the option to donate tissue to an anonymous recipient encourages a woman to terminate a pregnancy she would otherwise carry to term (Vawter & Gervais, 1993)."

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If you paid attention, the stem cells that would be used would be the surplus embryos of in vitro fertilization - the ones that otherwise get thrown away. Instead, people (some people) want to put them to good use rather than discard them.

Cathy

"A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest... " (The Boxer, P. Simon)

Reply to
Cathy F.

You are the one who inferred that if other ways are found to harvest embryonic stem cells - other than via aborted fetuses/embryos, that would be a blow to those who are pro choice. Which is a bunch of baloney.

You can make such a stance - obviously, but you can't then honestly expect others to just read it & find no disagreement with it.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Ignoring your idiotic link of abortion rights and stem cell research, I have to ask you if you think anybody who has had a baby by in vitro fertilization, is a "baby killer"? `cause that's where almost all the embryos come from for research.

Reply to
ToMh