OT - Attention Mike Hunt

How about another one of your posts about how well GM is doing market share wise. LOL

Reply to
Art

I have been reading Mike Hunt's letters to the newsgroups for sometime now and have come to the conclusion that either he is a nut, a liar or he owns GM stock.

Recent GM news might shut him up for awhile.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Bitch'n

It is still sad that people are losing their jobs before the holidays. Shows true colors of GM. Management over there plain sucks.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

It might be better to tell the workers now, before they blow a big wad on the holidays, than to wait until the credit card bills show up in January. And nobody is actually getting permanently laid off before the holidays.The permenent layoffs don't kick in utill next year and beyond (Federal rules require a 60 day notification for major permanent layoffs). Plus, GM management is going to have to hash this out with the unions. And for the 7,000 or so people who are being sent home this week becasue of the "temporary layoffs" - they get 95% of their regular pay. So it's not a layoff, it is a paid vacation! Those GM managers really are heartless aren't they.....

There is no good time to get laid off. Business needs usually determine the dates. Between union fights, tax rules, and federal employement rules, the real layoffs won't occurs for months, and if you read the articles, GM is hoping to carry out the permananet reductions by offering retirement incentives.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

I think the plan goes out 3 years.... it was just an announcement to please the analysts. They were not impressed. Maybe management will announce another 20000 cuts next week to see if that helps their stock price.

Reply to
Art

Another clueless remark. If you have more money going out than coming in what does that tell you?? It tells me that eventually I won't have enough money to pay the bills, like pensions, fuel to heat the plants, electricity to run the assembly lines, material to build the very product I'm trying to make money with and on top of all that, enough money to pay the taxes....GM is in the process of cutting their overhead and in my opinion they are doing it in the least painful way for their employees by spreading it out over a few years and trying to encourage retirements, thereby saving the younger workers jobs.

Gimme, gimme, gimme, is that the attitude in vogue with the far left wingers?

Reply to
.dbu.

Take, take, take is the attitude in vogue with the far right. You think that's an improvement?

Reply to
FanJet

Why would you want to discuss the logic of how one choose to post with a guy that even calls himself DIZZY? LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 07:45:08 -0700, "Bob Bitch'n" and have come to the conclusion that either he is a nut, a liar or he owns

Well, he's a top poster, which is a sure sign of stupidity.

Reply to
dizzy

Seems to me that nit picking over top vs. bottom posting is the sure sign of an obsessive compulsive disorder. I'd far rather deal with a top poster, than a bottom poster who never trims anything.

I think the style of posting should be determined by the context - top, bottom, in-line, all have their place. I assume you think in-line posting is OK...right? If so, what's the difference? Sometimes the post is only loosely related to the original post, and isn't in response to a specific phrase in the original post. In those cases, I don't see where top posting is such a no-no. I would agree that it some cases, quoting no text at all is the correct way to go.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

Regards,

Ed White

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

It is still sad that people are losing their jobs before the holidays. Shows true colors of GM. Management over there plain sucks.

------------

Yeah...The rank and file had NOTHING to do with the demise of GM??

I love it...

Why don't the workers go running to the union and management to give 'concessions' during bad times, the same way they do for contract enhancements when things are rosey??

CP

Reply to
Charles Pisano

They did this at a major airline which just went bankrupt. Pilots for instance gave up about 23 percent pay cut, they wanted something like 17 percent from the mechanics, but they chose to go on strike, LOL, now the company is hiring their replacements. Foolish union workers. Baggage handlers were smarter, they took a pay cut too. Some will still lose jobs however. It's a messy deal all the way around. And yes the stock holders took a hit too. From what was a $35 dollar/ share company a few short years ago is now measured in pennies. Last I looked about 50 of them, LOL..

Under tight management, hopefully GM will regain itself after making these hard choices. Of course the workers will align with the patronizing democrats and blame big business, but the fact is if you, I or a big company don't have enough money coming in to cover your debt, then you and the big company are in trouble and we have to cut overhead, like sell your brand new car or playtoys you just bought, or in the case of a big company, close plants and lay off workers. It's a fact of life.

Reply to
.dbu.

The fact is that if you make lousy cars, every year you will sell less of them as people figure it out. GM likes to put a car on the market when it is 80% right. When it doesn't sell, instead of fixing the problems they spend a billion dollars on a new generation platform. That hits the market when it is about 80% right. It doesn't sell. Time to spend a billion on a new platform again. And so on. It took a while but potential customers finally caught on.

Reply to
Art

By the way, I would say that a major part of the problem has got to be their labor contract clause that hourly workers still get 90% of their salary even when laid off. Shoot if I got paid 90% for not working, I would do crap work and hope the cars didn't sell and I got a 6 month paid vacation until the plant was retooled. You guys may blame labor unions for that clause, but management had no business making that deal.

Reply to
Art