OT - Bee problem getting noticed in DC

I've got some out by my pool.....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I wouldn't be surprised if people tend to fluff it off. But ramifications could be big/serious.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Which should we worry about first.

Al Bore's global warming.

Bees by my pool

?????

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Bees *not* by your pool...

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

LOL....ok....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Yes, I am worried!!

Reply to
dbu,.

No, it's not LOL.

Bees are super-important, re: pollination. And the ramifications (of plants

*not* getting pollinated), right on down the line...

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Are they Honey Bees?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Are you sure they are bees and not wasps.

Reply to
dbu,.

What? Missing In Action, or by Scott's pool?

If you've been paying attention, Honey Bee populations are dwindling, and no one knows why!

Honey Bees are responsible for about 75% of the pollination of crops, and if they aren't where they're supposed to be(e) then crops won't get pollinated! Do I need to tell you the effect this will have on agriculture.

Remember my post on the price of lettuce and it's (observed by me...) relation to fuel costs? Now, add to that no pollination by bees...think you're paying a lot for fuel? Wait till you see your food bill!!!

This is NOT good!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Can you tell me the differece between a honey bee and a wasp. Don't go to google. I'm just curious if you know and I don't want it to be a big pissing contest either :)

Reply to
dbu,.

Who? Me, or SiF?

I'm sure it's a honey bee problem. I have no idea what SiF has flying around his pool.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

It was neither.

I'm sure it is too. I know a bee from a yellowjacket wasp, I've been stung enough by yellowjackets. You will often see Honeybees on clover, very common.

Reply to
dbu,.

The only thing I really know is that honey bees make honey and go from flower to flower collecting nectar, and won't sting unless really provoked or if someone is trying to break into the hive.

Wasps are just SOBs and would just as soon sting you as anything else. My house some years gets overrun with the damn things!

Then there was the time I woke up to a loud buzzing sound, and had some kind of Queen Bee or Queen Hornet at my window...on the INSIDE trying to get OUT. I obliged her...RAPIDLY!!!!

Damn thing was about the size of my little finger!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Huh? Then who was "you" in, "Are you sure they are bees and not wasps."?

??

I'm not following your line of thinking...

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I've been by the wasps, yellowjackets also. You will see honeybees on clover and they are more rounded than yellowjacket wasps. Honeybees are more docile. Yellowjackets will nest in your house if they find a way in, foundation walls for example. I had them take up residence under my front steps one year and back steps another year, by a dryer duct another year. I have pluged up all the cracks in the foundation so the problem is gone for now, but every year I will do an inspection of the foundation. I used sevin dust to get rid of the nest, sprinkle a little at the nest entrance and in a few days they will disappear. The honeybee will leave it's stinger in you where the yellowjacket wasp will not.

Reply to
dbu,.

Honey Bees are Conservatives

Wasps are Liberals

Reply to
Scott in Florida

No, yellowjackets lose their stinger also. Believe me I KNOW! I was getting some interior pieces for the rear of my 240SX, and when I pulled the side panel there was a small nest 'under construction' there. One of them just barely brushed my hand, and then I felt it. I looked down, and the stinger was sticking out of my hand with the gland pumping away all by itself! I pulled it out. Luckily, I had been taking Benedryl for a cold for about three days, so there wasn't hardly any effect at all! I painted them with spray paint and kept working!

The black wasps can sting up to 6 times before losing the stinger. Whitefaced hornets I don't know about, except one thing: they are the MEANEST of all! I think they can also sting more than once, and I think they do, as often as they can!

But, what is the correlation to the pollination of crops?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

ROFLMAO! Leave it to Scott to politicize bees!!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku