(OT) BREAKING NEWS

They are reporting at this minute that Adam Lanza was upset because he knew that his mother had reached the end of her rope in caring for him. The mother had applied to have Adam committed, and Adam knew this and it made him mad. He apparently was jealous that his mother spent time with the children of the school, and if he was out of the (her) way, then she could spend even more time with them.

That's why the school was targetted.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

We need better attention to mental problems and to act on it faster and better than in the past. Schools need better security. Companies and offices need better security. Airline pilots can carry weapons why shouldn't teachers, if properly screened and trained for the environment they are over seeing.

Some of these goof-ball politicians are going knee-jerking about gun control again. They should be voted out for being incompetent.

Reply to
dbu

School security is okay for people that belong there, but keeping people out that do not belong there is next to impossible. Lanza was not let into the school, he broke in. Any security is good for environments where people belong there, keeping out people that do not belong is another matter. Security works fine to open a door for people that belong, and not open the door for those that don't. But there is no security to keep somebody from breaking the door down if they are committed to doing that.

Lanza was not a mentally healthy person, and his mother struggled with him for years. She knew he had problems, school administrators and teachers knew he had troubles -- although they all thought he would be a victim, not a perp. Everybody around him knew he had problems. Nobody thought he could do this, they all thought others would do this to him. He had a profile that said he should be the victim of being bullied, not one that said he would turn into a killer one day.

They have just reported that the mother was working to have him committed.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

or

"No! You can't do that to me! You're sending me to hell! You're sending me straight to hell!"

Sadly what the boy is saying is very much the case.

"At least we have health insurance now. I recently accepted a position with a local college, giving up my freelance career because when you have a kid like this, you need benefits. You'll do anything for benefits. No individual insurance plan will cover this kind of thing."

I wonder if this family managed to avoid the long time industy standards of

50% co pay and 30 day limits?

I fully expect the lady to lose her job. Oh it won't be for this but the reason will be legal and just as flimsy.

With our foster kids the providers, the insurance and even Medicaid?Medicare manage to game the billing such that our family gets hammered with the bills. Which are BY LAW not our responsibility. We have an attorney, basically on retainer, that we must pay by the hour to address these bills otherwise the entire family's credit will be shot.

As our extended family is foster to adopt we are subject to the vestures of the system. We have learned that the system will purge the kids' records of any information that may raise questions on the part of the adopting family with the full intent that once the deed is done the kid and the kid's problem are off the system's plate.

'When I asked my son's social worker about my options, he said that the only thing I could do was to get Michael charged with a crime. "If he's back in the system, they'll create a paper trail," he said. "That's the only way you're ever going to get anything done. No one will pay attention to you unless you've got charges."'

When and if ... again and very sadly that's not how the system works. The hard fact is the system is dysfunctional and flat DOES NOT WORK.

There are times when I fully believe that this is by design.

The exit door comment:

"I agree that something must be done. It's time for a meaningful, nation-wide conversation about mental health. That's the only way our nation can ever truly heal."

If and when and then only 'if and when' WeThePeople demand what's meaninful and effective. Another ban in whatever form is NOT GOING TO WORK much less make an iota of difference.

Reply to
NotMe

Why have teachers be armed? Just hire an armed security guard for every school. Banks do it. Should cost the same as a janitor. End of problem.

Reply to
uncle_vito

Then cost goes up. I'd be more in favor of letting some of the teachers arm themselves just as are the airline pilots. Training would be needed of course, and some sort of certification program instituted.

The problem with this whole scenario is when a deranged person comes into a building be it a business or school or whatever, the incident happens so fast that by the time anybody has time to react it's already over. Best is to keep them out so they cannot get in. His mother should have kept those guns in a locked safe especially when she knew her son was having major mental problems.

Reply to
dbu

Seems to me every recent mass shooting case such as Virginia Tech, Aurora, Sandy Hook, and a few others had two things in common -- mental patients and weapons. Yet we have many people that have weapons who do not perform such crimes so how do weapons get blamed for these cases? What about mental patients who are not identified and kept in mental institutions or at least watched carefully by the system? Bring back sanatoriums.

Reply to
badgolferman

We need to buff up the background procedures and prevent leaks of the system as it is not perfect, too many get guns that should not even be walking around on the streets let alone carrying a weapon, be it a firearm, knife, ball bat or what ever. That is where it needs attention. None of the recent mass killings by gun fire would have been affected by an assault type firearm ban. Just because a gun looks dangerous doesn't mean it is unless it's in the hands of a mentally deranged person as were the case in the past few incidences. The politicans and their knee-jerk thinking are going completely in the wrong direction AGAIN! It is sad we keep electing people who are incompetent.

Reply to
dbu

steven is full of shxx and he knows it...LOL

Reply to
dbu