OT-Comcast

Just a point of clarification to follow up on last week's threads regarding Comcast. With the exception of their inattention to newsgroup service, Comcast has been rock solid for me in Tucson, Arizona. I use them for HD TV, Internet and phone. I switched phone service from Vonage to Comcast and find the voice quality and reliability to be superior.

The negatives for Comcast, imo, are that it's expensive ($133 per month for my service) and they have the world's worst web site. jor

Reply to
jor

Tucson being the lightning capitol of the U.S. have you had any issues at all with nearby lightning strikes putting your phone out?

I have toyed with the idea of getting the comcast phone, but have hesitated in favor of old reliable, the twisted pair.

ATT is installing fiber optic cable a block away, I assume they will be offering something high speed in the future. Right now all we have available is Comcast and DSL, which is snails pace compared to Comcast, we are too far away from "the switch" thingy.

Reply to
dbu

I'll give you an idea of my costs and what I have - a bit more than your comcast though.

I pay about 76/month to AT&T for 2 phone lines, my wife is a home care RN. She works a lot from the house so we have 2 lines and the 3 meg internet. Long distance is unitel and seldom over 10 bucks/month.

We use dishtv and have the 250+ package with HD and HDVR package about 80 bucks. 3 TV's

It is charter cable here and they seem to be higher than I pay for lesser services

Ron in Ca

Reply to
ron

No problem with lightning taking out the phone when I Qwest and, of course, none now with VoIP. Comcast here is fast. I just tested at 12 down and 2 up. I've been using VoIP for a long time (Packet8, Vonage, Comcast) and Comcast is the best by far. Their normal setup allows you to use your existing house phone wiring although I chose to go direct from the modem. They've got a deal going on now that effectively gives you the phone service for free for one year as long as you bundle their digital TV and internet. Good luck. jor

Reply to
jor

I already have the basic tv service and internet. I get them both for less per month than with the internet alone, go figure, but I'll take it.

I'll give the phone some more thought, but for now I'll stick with the twisted pair.

Reply to
dbu

For me it's Dish 60/mo High speed cable modem 40/mo Cordia VOIP (my only phone) 17/mo when the cable goes down the TV still works but no phone of internet.

Reply to
Fat Moe