OT: Cool! We built another Islamic theocracy...

...where there wasn't one before. I wonder if the Bushtwat understands this at all.

Iraqi Policewomen Ordered To Turn In Guns

NEW YORK, Dec. 11, 2007

Just in case there's anyone out there still unsure about the whether nation-building is a bad idea, the Los Angeles Times brings a gem of a story about how you can lead an Iraqi horse to the water of equal-opportunity employment, but you just can't make him drink. Not even when your country is paying the water bill.

The Iraqi government has ordered all policewomen to hand in their guns for redistribution to men or face having their pay withheld, the Times reports. The move thwarts a U.S. initiative to bring women into the nation's police force.

The Interior Ministry, which oversees the police, issued the order late last month, according to ministry documents, U.S. officials and several of the women. Probably sensing this was going to tick off the Americans, ministry officials refused to pick up the phone or return messages when Times reporter Tina Susman called asking for an explanation.

Critics say the move is the latest sign of the religious and cultural conservatism that has taken hold in Iraq since the overthrow of Saddam Hussein ushered in a government dominated by Shiite Muslims. Other recent signs include a dozen women killed by religious militants in Basra for not covering their hair or dressing modestly. In Baghdad, once a secular metropolis, it is rare to see women without scarves covering their hair.

U.S. trainers began recruiting women in early 2004 and were so swamped with applicants they had to turn many away. By the end of that year, about 1,000 women had graduated. Since U.S. authorities handed over responsibility for police recruitment and training to Iraqi authorities in February 2006, the number of female recruits has dropped to virtually zero.

U.S. Army Brig. Gen. David Phillips, who has led the effort to recruit female officers, said an official in the Interior Ministry told him: "Females are taken care of by men in our country. They are not out there being police officers."

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

snip / / / /

"Freedom's untidy, and free people are free to make mistakes and commit crimes and do bad things." Donald Rumsfeld

F.H.

Call me a chauvinist if you must but I am not very comfortable with putting women in harm's way, whether in combat roles or public defense such as police. It's not that they aren't capable of performing just as well as men given the same weapons, but it's that the antagonist will view them as a much easier target and direct their attention toward the female first. They will be attacked before the men will in most circumstances. On average women are also physically less capable of hand-to-hand combat than men. Another aspect to consider is that the fellow male partners will risk their own lives much more readily to save a wounded female than a male soldier/police. This is a tactic that can be easily used against them.

Reply to
badgolferman

Bullshit.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Exactly which part of my statement do you disagree with?

Reply to
badgolferman

Since your statement supports the practices of a religious theocracy, I disagree with every word of it.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

What a tremondous retort.

Reply to
badgolferman

Translation:

The difference between your perspective and that of the Muslims you love to disparage is an illusion.

Reply to
F.H.

Brevity *can* sometimes suffice. He is exactly right.

Reply to
F.H.

Nothing further was needed. I don't debate with people like you who support terrorists and the intentional mistreatment of women. You must be a religious man.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You're probably under the impression that most police work involves shooting and wrestling criminals, but even if it does, most women can be trained to handle themselves well. Also female officers are needed to handle female crime victims, especially in a society that treats women so badly. Also if you want to change a society like Iran's, you have to introduce some social changes like this and not side so much with the fundamentalists.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Handle female crime victims? Don't you mean arrest them, a la Saudi Arabia?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Yes, I completely overestimated your sense of decency, rationale, and general common sense. I'll try not to do that again.

Reply to
badgolferman

Can you just SEE the flood of irony from this troll?

What an "intellect". LOL

Reply to
witfal

Recognizing decency is not something you are particularly well programed for. ;)

Reply to
F.H.

Fix dinner for the working wife tonight shallow one. Do some pirouettes in front of the mirror? Dream about the Beemer your wife keeps telling you you'll get someday when she gets another raise? Then you come here and run your mouth? *That* witless one, is "irony." ;)

Reply to
F.H.