OT Count Down off by 7 seconds

By my atomic wristwatch last night's New Year's Eve countdown was behind by

7 seconds. When there was only one minute to go, the spread shortened to 3 seconds. Now unless the original signal has to travel 7 X 186,000 miles to reach my TV set I don't see why there was so much of a time difference.
Reply to
mark digital©

Commercial interruptions.

Reply to
badgolferman

It is possible that the broadcast was on a delay to allow the network to snip any wardrobe malfunctions or language that might sneak into the live broadcast.

The FCC fine for airing something "indecent" or "obscene" is currently $320,000 per incident, per station. So if ABC owns ten stations, and a partygoer hangs a moon, it could mean a fine of $3.2 million just for ABC. Then it affiliates (about 200 stations) may be liable as well, at $320,000 each.

Broadcasters are on the defensive since the Janet Jackson episode and the subsequent raising of the FCC fine from $32,000 to $320,000.

BC delayed reaction

Reply to
BCDrums

Check time.nist.gov for an accurate time, or tune in WWV on the radio.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

Ah! Probably this is how they managed to go from 7 to 3 without making it obvious. prior to the last minute people were being interviewed so maybe that's why the 7 second delay. And as someone else pointed out maybe they needed a 3 second delay in case Clark blurted out some profanity. I know I would have if I had that creep from American idol so close to me.

Reply to
mark digital©

Aw, shoot! You gave it away!

100% correct. The networks did away with the 7 second delay, and reinsated tham after Jackson and that other idiot pulled their 'Wardrobe Malfunction' BS. The networks reinstated the delay shortly after that.
Reply to
Hachiroku

And I hadn't seen this before reading your other post. (Really.)

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

LOL! IIRC, they reinstated the delay BEFORE the FCC passed the laws for the new fine structure, because so many people complained about it. No comment on Jackson's Water Wings...But I thought it was gross...

Reply to
Hachiroku

They still get off cheap. If broadcasters can't set standards and uphold them then the FCC will and have. I give the broadcasters no slack, not even a teeny tiny bit.

Reply to
dbu,

The Janet Jackson "accident" was certainly planned, and the network deserved to be penalized. But now broadcasters have to worry about some guy in the crowd at a live event, because they'll be held responsible for his behavior regardless of whether they could have controlled it or not.

F'rinstance, say the Vice President calls someone a naughty name when he thinks his mic is closed...the fine will be levied.

BC calling Dr. Fined

Reply to
BCDrums

Broadcasters need to have their toes held close to the fire. As for what you are talking about, the FCC does have an appeal process. The well heeled broadcasters with their legions of lawyers can surely afford to go the appeal route if they thought they were wronged.

Reply to
dbu,

Dr. Howard

Reply to
Hachiroku

That's very Taliban-like of you.

The FCC's should do nothing to limit broadcasting, except to prevent radio interference and channel sitting (licenses bought just to prevent competition or to sell them), and any matters of censorship should be handled completely privately among the broadcasters, audience, and sponsors.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

And Janet Jackson exposing herself (EEEEEEeeeeeewwwwww!!!!!!!!!!)

Reply to
Hachiroku

What about Dr. Besser?

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

He wasn't in that one!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Then which Dr. Howard?

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

Great Big Giant Green Canaries!!!

"Huh...Giant Green Canaries..."

A station from Boston shows the 3 stooges for 5 hours every New Year's Eve... I don't think I've missed it for 10-15 years now! (Oh, last year...I did go out because a friend's friend's band needed a bass player! Hey, New Years eve surrounded by women (both in the band and in the bar), free drinks, and $100 for doing something fun?!?! I can handle it!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Europe.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Well, there is a grown man bent over with his legs spread and another man putting his hands in his crotch...

Reply to
badgolferman