OT: Do I disagree with Sharpton?

training isnt going to do anything with people who have no regard for human life... just like there are people who sign up for the service so they can go and kill in iraq, you have people who join the police department because they want to be above the law and have the ability to kill if they want...

i remember back in LA around 85 a buddy of mine (a crip) that i went to highschool with was routinely harrassed by one of LAPD"s finest... this cop and one of his buddies served up a beating on him and one of his associates that put both of them in the hospital... i cant remember the gist of it, but they murdered dude in front of his valley home in front of his wife and child...

some people just have that killing vibe...

Reply to
bozak

"Viper

Reply to
Don't Taze Me, Bro!

Then why did the cops say 'they thought they saw a weapon' instead of the car running them down?

Reply to
zcarenow

tions

Fear was probably the first reaction that started the initial shot, the remainder of them were mob mentality.

Reply to
BobR

first of all, I know for sure it's not "at his own wedding". Second, I don't know about this, but whether he has "done nothing wrong" is in dispute. Some source says that he may have tried to drive his car at the cops.

Reply to
PeterL

I sometimes think that percentage may be higher than the general public. When I was in Air Force basic training in the mid 60's it was the lowest IQ enlistees who ended up going to AP training. All of the kids from my 350 member high school class that went into law enforcement were either at the bottom of the class or were the gang members and trouble makers of the class.

On the other side, why would anyone with half a brain want to put their life at risk every day for a population that either hates you outright or simply has no respect for what you have to put up with. There isn't enough money in the world to pay me to do their job. It is probably the most thankless job in the world.

This case though really stinks and sounds like the cops were totally out of control.

==================

Here's a good illustration of your theory about stupid out of control cops.

JoeSpareBedroom

Don't bust his chops on this one, dbu, because he has history on his side. Reading any of the literature written by the Founding Fathers at the time of the creation of the 2nd amendment makes it very clear that the citizenry is supposed to own guns to keep things the gov't from randomly executing people w/o fear of reprisal.

I'm not saying this is what happened in this case, but I am saying that JSB understands how guns fit into the bigger picture.

Reply to
Sean Elkins

Tom Jones isn't dead yet, but I'm pretty sure when he goes that his ghost will only haunt Vegas showrooms.

Reply to
Sean Elkins

Nice said. But he still won't believe it in the chaos that is his "mind".

Reply to
witfal

Then the judge who decided the case (there was no jury -- what defense lawyer is dumb enough to waive a jury tria?) should be impeached for not knowing better.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Well, once the cops start shooting, they fire more bullets than they realize. And they do it in much less time than they realize.

I don't know if the man who was killed even heard the cops say they were police (there's know way to know now), but the police also heard the guys who were in the car say something about guns.

In addition, some of the cops involved were minorities.

I don't think this was a racial thing at all. It was a case of police having reasonable fears about their lives and taking proper action.

Very sad, but so was the incident in which a crane that killed seven people when it collapsed on the Upper East Side about 20 km away from the shooting.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Viper news:2GPQj.473$PY5.455@trnddc01...

Cops have a hard job to do. Two volunteer axillary police officers were shot to death in NYC about 2 years ago. Police officers are risk every day because of their jobs and because they wear their uniforms.

IMHO, police deserve a great deal of respect. And most (not all) earn it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

While there were may have been flaws in the police training, unless they can with 100% certainty teach police who to tell when someone is going for a gun, there will be similar incidents in the future, hopefully, less commonly going forward. Considering there are around 10,000,000 people in NYC, including many who do commit crimes, this sort of thing is relatively rare in NYC. I hope with better training, this sort of thing becomes even rarer.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Gee, the defense attorney and defendants apparently knew what they were doing when they went for a trial without a jury.

I suspect that they knew that a judge would look at the facts of the case, rather than be swayed by emotions and racial tensions. And, considering that the Bell was driving a car at the police, the police heard them talk about getting guns, they had reason to believe that they saw a gun, and that the police took reasonable steps to announce that they were cops and present, I believe that the judge came to the right verdict, that there was reasonable doubt about their guilt.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

They had reason to believe he was armed and dangerous and he FAILED to obey orders.

Reply to
Patriot Games

done nothing wrong, 50 times, at

black. However, it does appear that

yup dude didnt recognize he was black and forgot the popo's white/black double standard...

white guy in a car is reaching for the newspaper... black guy in a car is reaching for a gun...

white guy does powder cocaine he goes to rehab... black guy does crack cocaine and goes to prison...

i blame all black people who have failed to learn white mans law...

:-)

shoot them all, theyre just people... (damn, that was heston like)

soylent black is fertilizer!!!

Reply to
bozak

473$PY5.455@trnddc01...

Right, just like on "Cops" show: They run their cruiser in front of a fleeing vehicle and if there's a collision they call that "assaulting a police officer."

And it seems black officers are more loyal to their fellows and department than race.

I don't know how many police you've known personally but I find they lie as much as, or more than, anyone else.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

I learned many years ago how quickly a jackboot mentality can be acquired. My reserve unit was asked to be traffic control after an out of control wildfire took out many houses in an upscale part of town. All one Sunday we manned intersections to keep rubberneckers out of the affected areas, and after an hour on our posts, we were no longer polite, or understanding, but very authoritarian and unyielding to requests of motorists. By the end of the day, my mindset was just like that of a traffic cop - "I'm right and you're wrong - deal with it."

Reply to
mack

They didn't say a car was trying to run them down? Funny - all the news reports mention it. You mean that wasn't brought out in court. You can't really believe that. IOW I think you're lying when you say they didn't say a car tried to run them down.

Bill Putney

Not lying. The only news reports i've heard were the issue of whether they had a gun or not. The officers were in fear of their lives cuz they 'thought they saw a gun'. If they were being runned down by a car, then they have the right to shoot, but i didn't hear anything about them being chased down by an unmarked car.

Reply to
zcarenow