OT: Fight them where?

That would be cool. Another cool thought would be able to get on a high speed train and travel to Tierra del Fuego.

Reply to
dbu

Gee Whiz, I can re-finance at 3.0 percent!!

Reply to
dbu

I doubt you will EVER find a perfect system. There will always be possibilities to exploit.

Reply to
dbu

Letting people through without being screened AT ALL is far beyond not being "perfect".

Come on.

Reply to
witfal

Must be rare, because when ever I'm at the airport people are taking their shoes of and just short of undressing. I have a friend that travels a lot and he said it's a royal pain in the arse. I also know someone who works behind the scene in the baggage inspections.

Reply to
dbu

You should read the article, or at least watch the video. The Phoenix airport, which both my wife and I have used, was shutting down security completely every night between midnight and 04:30.

I wouldn't even call that mediocre security.

Reply to
witfal

You know that is weird. Do they have flights out during those hours?

Reply to
dbu

The video shows a time-lapse of dozens going through to board flights. Baggage, crates, coolers, and bags were not checked for contents, nor was anyone searched or asked to remove their shoes.

A free-for-all for 4.5 hours each night. The TSA stopped this after the article was made public.

Reply to
witfal

Could you tell which scheduled airline(s) this happened on?

Reply to
dbu

> f953feaefc9d

Actually no worse, except for the lack of armored cockpit doors and paranoia for all Arab-looking people.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Yeah, right. Who has gained the most by exploiting our fears since

9/11? Whose top political advisor instructed his party to exploit those fears for votes in 2004 and 2006? Hint: It was nobody remotely associated with the DNC. Regardless, that person or group had nothing to do with those airport incidents, but it's even far less credible to believe that the DNC was involed, especially because they have nothing to gain from them.
Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Flight crews were instructed to go along with hijackers and follow their instructions prior to 9/11. That has changed. In fact now, flight crews can carry weapons (this is good) and many flights now have air marshals on board, (this is also good), some flights more than one. In my opinion, the playing field has changed dramatically, but at a huge inconvenence to 99 plus percent of paying passengers. The price we have to pay for air security. Would you want it to be as it was prior to

9/11?

Flying airlines today is like being herded into cattle trucks. You get, if you're lucky a bag of peanuts and a can of pop. Far cry from earlier times. People used to dress up, nowdays it's shorts and tennis shoes.

Reply to
dbu

Tell that to Israel's El Al airlines:

The toll gate in Blazing saddles provided about the same level of security:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 'We took lead-lined film bags, which block X-rays, through checkpoints.

'Steve Elson, who used to test checkpoint security for the Federal Aviation Administration, helped us with our tests.

'When the bag goes through the X-ray, there's a big black blob," says Elson. "They're impossible to miss and yet they just continually let it go."

'Screeners could not clearly see what was in our carry-ons and should have searched them, because a weapon could have been hidden in or under the film bags.

'But 70 percent of screeners failed to check or even detect the film bags. At the time, the Transportation Security Administration blamed a broken system. Congress ordered the federal government to take over all airport checkpoints by Nov. 19.'

That was the third time 60 Minutes had tested airport security. The previous attempts were made years before 9/11, at JFK, where their employees used false IDs to obtain jobs and were able to go anywhere with hardly any hinderance, even in the planes while they were being serviced (only El Al checked).

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Do you trust these tests? Why?

If this is all true, what do you think should be done to correct it?

Reply to
dbu

A statement posted late Tuesday by the TSA on its Web site confirmed that "a routine TSA intelligence bulletin relating to suspicious incidents at U.S. airports" had leaked to news organizations. The statement added, "During the past six months TSA has produced more than

90 unclassified bulletins of this nature on a wide variety of security-related subjects."

One bulletin leaked out and you think this is the end of the world. At least the TSA is keeping busy looking for potential threats. You'd be screaming bloody murder if something had actually happened but now you're dredging up non-stories in order to make noise.

Reply to
badgolferman

Probably from larrymoencurly. He comes up with "facts" like these all the time.

Reply to
badgolferman

The Democrats have. They won Congress, didn't they?

Reply to
badgolferman

Just the fact they found the stuff shows measures are working...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Yes, because they presented video of the security lapses, the CBS employee getting away with his phoney ID, none of the findings were challenged, and some members of management lost their jobs.

Hire a security expert from Israel to plan and run everything, do Israeli style security checks (go through all luggage by hand, interview each passenger), have realistic training run by people with real experience finding bombs, seal everything, not just the places where passengers normally go, check employees as well as passengers, and pay the guards at least $20-25 an hour (and make sure they work to deserve their pay).

What would you have done?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

I guess you think a little paranoia is a good thing, and a LOT of paranoia is a GREAT thing. It's so much more likely that a neocon operative group has been pulling this shit, if indeed it is a political ploy and not actual terrorist cells. The DNC would never ....NEVER ...have any part of this kind of shenanigans. But I wouldn't put it past a devious Republican bastard. Remember the 'dirty tricks' of 1972? And there are still those Nixonites around with the moral fiber of a snake who'd think nothing was wrong as long as he instilled fear in the opponents of their guy.

Reply to
mack