OT: Gas Tax Holiday Wont Work

Do you believe that if the government suspends the gas tax for a few months that it will effect you? The actual savings comes to an average of 30 cents a day, per adult American.

The tax money from gas goes to infrastructure and roads and is a tiny fraction of gas cost.

So basically the tax for roads is going to come from elsewhere.

So it is basically a b.s. call! Then again this is the age of snopes. Enough people might actually believe this will work.

Reply to
Don't Taze Me, Bro!

In message news:Nk9Zj.25437$sX5.24279@trnddc02, "Don't Taze Me, Bro!" burned some brain cells writing:

Bullshit. A higher percentage of the cost of gas goes to taxes than goes to either the station's profit or the oil company's profit.

Reply to
Klark Kent

"Don't Taze Me, Bro!" wrote in news:Nk9Zj.25437$sX5.24279@trnddc02:

No one has actually sponsored a bill in congress to waive the gas-tax and memorial day is monday. Not only was it pandering of the worst sort to begin with, but it was the most hollow kind of pandering.

Reply to
theBZA

Klark Kent wrote in news:Xns9AA652801F556KlarkKent@66.250.146.128:

Bullshit. My daughter's friend's parents own a Getty station and their gasoline profits subsidize 100% of the overhead for the minimart and more.

Reply to
theBZA

Old news. But, some candidates will still wave around idea in an attempt to woo the same putz voters who fell for "Is our children learning?"

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

In message news:Xns9AA65647D32DAdewey3kNOSPAMgmailco@130.133.1.4, theBZA burned some brain cells writing:

That doesn't change the fact that taxes are higher than the station's profits.

Reply to
Klark Kent
437$sX5.24279@trnddc02...

CNN said that during the time when they poll people after they voted, that a few people in Kentucky actually said one reason why they didn't vote for Obama was because "there's already enough Hussein's" in the world. So obviously "word of mouth/I heard it on Rush/I'm too stupid to think for myself" works.

Reply to
Blazer Fan Dan

CNN said that during the time when they poll people after they voted, that a few people in Kentucky actually said one reason why they didn't vote for Obama was because "there's already enough Hussein's" in the world. So obviously "word of mouth/I heard it on Rush/I'm too stupid to think for myself" works.

=======================

I know Limbaugh-lickers who read the quote below and say "Duh...whuh?"

"I always say my real purpose is to attract the largest audience I can, and hold it for as long as I can, so I can charge confiscatory advertising rates," the talk show host says.

JoeSpareBedroom

In message news: snipped-for-privacy@w34g2000prm.googlegroups.com, Blazer Fan Dan burned some brain cells writing:

CNN also has interviewed numerous Obama supporters and NOT ONE has been able to identify a significant piece of legislation their boy has sponsored.

Reply to
Klark Kent

I'm not excusing that sort of ignorance, but in all fairness, I'm quite sure that if you polled the vast majority of citizens, they'd be hard pressed to name legislation sponsored by their elected barnacles, unless the legislation was prominent recently in the news.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Federal fuel taxes are NOT used to maintain the interstate highway system, they are only used to BUILD interstate highways, with the exception of some funds being siphoned off to mass transit in cities, even though transit users pay no federal tax to ride public transit.

Even as the 18.4C gasoline and the 42C diesel taxes are being collected there are several billions sitting unused in the federal highway trust fund. One reason it is not spent is because it is carried on the asset side of the ledger in the annual budget.

Clinton and McCain know that but apparently Obama, who has spent two years of his three years in the Senate running for office, does not. Not collecting the tax for three month would indeed help those having a problem with fuel costs to get to work as well as the higher fuel cost for transport all of the STUFF, that moves by truck, that they buy every day.

Reply to
Mike hunt

The same liberals who complain about every 10 cent rise in gas prices refuse to admit that cutting gas prices (via tax breaks) will help drivers.

It's almost as if they don't really care about gas prices and just want taxes to be as high as possible.

Reply to
David Goldberg

It appears what you believe is WRONG again! That is the first thing one learns in college about the capitalistic system. When investing funds to start a business, if ones goal is to simply get rich by starting a business, one WILL NOT SUCCEED. Ones goal MUST be to do what is necessary to ACQUIRE and MAINTAIN customers, if one does that the profits will follow.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in

Reply to
Mike hunt

With no exceptions, *all* intelligent commentators on this issue have said that cutting the gas tax is a highly dubious approach to lowering prices.

Example:

JoeSpareBedroom

What the f*ck are you talking about, Uncle Jemima? Stick with making and "testing" moonshine. It's what you're good at.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

In message news:Xns9AA683D7A6B2Ddewey3kNOSPAMgmailco@130.133.1.4, theBZA burned some brain cells writing:

Not at all. One would expect the highest volume product at a Getty station to be Getty, and not $5 cans of Pringles. It only stands to reason that the gasoline would provide the store's primary profit. But the profit margin on a gallon of gas doesn't change whether the tax is one cent or fifty cents. The average tax is about 48 cents a gallon (19 federal, 29 state/local). To support your statement you need to provide financials showing a profit of greater than 48 cents a gallon. I say you cannot, but I'll offer you the opportunity. Go for it.

And having lost the argument, it devolves into namecalling. No surprises there.

Reply to
Klark Kent

Maybe in 1992! Exxon's profits quadrupled since 2002.

Reply to
Don't Taze Me, Bro!

During the gas tax holiday, the government rounds up its biggest collection in gas tax dollars which is 10 billion. How you can compare that to Exxonn's

42 billion dollar gain is beyond me. The gas tax is an average of 30 cents in most places. The price of gas is around 3.80 right now.
Reply to
Don't Taze Me, Bro!

It would come to an average of 28 dollars in savings for that time period. Also, are you sure the gas companies would not raise the cost to capitalize on the lack of government tax? It has happened in 3 states. State tax was suspended and oil companies raised prices immediately.

Reply to
Don't Taze Me, Bro!

Well, enjoy your 28 dollars.

Reply to