OT - GM electric cars

About a decade or so ago GM built and leased a few electric cars. Most were taken back by GM and crushed but a few are still out there under lease. Maybe it is time for GM to resurrect their electric cars?

Reply to
Art

Why build something if all you get out of it is negative publicity? Why build something for a population that can't see past their nose?

Reply to
mark digital

Actually the people who had the cars loved them and did not want to give them up. For short range commutor drives they did the job. GM are you listening? I bet Toyota is.

Reply to
Art

Hachiroku, the Top Posting fool, responded:

Well, this is an interesting subject. There were court battles, fights, portests, demonstrations, people camped outside GM and the 'holding' are in Arizona, all over a handful of cars.

GM never *sold* them, they leased them. At the end of the lease, GM decided that maintenance, etc was too much for a car that could only go, at best 75 miles on a charge, so they decided to take them back and crush them.

But a lot of owners balked. A lot of them REALLY liked the car, for it's styling, it's efficiency and even its 'performance'. (Remember, an electric motor develops *ALL* it's tourqe from 0 RPM!)

They wanted to buy them; they would assume all costs, but GM wouldn't sell. I don't remember if I surmised it myself or if I read it somewhere, but IIRC the batteries had become a headache to GM with disposal or recycling. So, GM said NO and that started a ruckus.

I think GM won the battle, IIRC, and the owners were ordered to give the cars back, but I'm not sure n this point.

BTW, the car was the GM EV1

Reply to
Hachiroku

If you google "Rav4 EV" you can read about the electrically powered Rav4. There is an article somewhere about one that has gone over 100,000 miles.

Reply to
Ray O

My brother-in-law has a Rav4. It's in nice looking shape. Most of his driving is highway. I asked him recently what his typical mpg is and he said

24 mpg. Compared to what he had before he says that's good. {shrug} I wouldn't know.
Reply to
mark digital