{OT} Guys, TRY to be considerate to the Little Lady...here's how!

Bob's story

It is important for men to remember that, as women grow older, it becomes harder for them to maintain the same quality of housekeeping as when they were younger. When you notice this, try not to yell at them. Some are oversensitive, and there's nothing worse than an oversensitive woman.

My name is Bob. Let me relate how I handled the situation with my wife, Debbie. When I took "early retirement" last year, it became necessary for Debbie to get a full-time job along with her part- time job, both for extra income and for the health benefits that we needed. Shortly after she started working, I noticed she was beginning to show her age. I usually get home from the golf course about

the same time she gets home from work.

Although she knows how hungry I am, she almost always says she has to rest for half an hour or so before she starts dinner. I don't yell at her. Instead, I tell her to take her time and just wake me when she gets dinner on table.

I generally have lunch in the Men's Grill at the club so eating out is not reasonable. I'm ready for some home cooked grub when I hit that door.

She used to do the dishes as soon as we finished eating. But now it's not unusual for them to sit on the table for several hours after dinner. I do what I can by diplomatically reminding her several times each evening that they won't clean themselves. I know she really appreciates this, as it does seem to motivate her to get them done before she goes to bed.

Another symptom of aging is complaining, I think. For example she will say that it is difficult for her to find time to pay the monthly bills during her lunch hour. But, boys, we take 'em for better or worse, so I just smile and offer encouragement. I tell her to stretch it out over two or even three days. That way she won't have to rush so much. I also remind her that missing lunch completely now and then wouldn't hurt her any (if you know what I mean). I like to think tact is one of my strong points.

When doing simple jobs, she seems to think she needs more rest periods. She had to take a break when she was only half finished mowing the yard.

I try not to make a scene. I'm a fair man. I tell her to fix herself a nice, big, cold glass of freshly squeezed lemonade and just sit for a while. And, as long as she is making one for herself, she may as well make one for me too.

I know that I probably look like a saint in the way I support Debbie. I'm not saying that showing this much consideration is easy. Many men will find it difficult. Some will find it impossible! Nobody knows better than I do how frustrating women get as they get older. However, guys, even if you just use a little more tact and less criticism of your aging wife because of this article, I will consider that writing it was well worthwhile.

After all, we are put on this earth to help each other.....

Signed,

Bob

Reply to
Hachiroku

Oh, I later found this:

NOTE: Bob died suddenly on May 27th. The police report says he was found with a Calloway extra long 50-inch Big Bertha Driver II golf club rammed up his ass, with only 2 inches of grip showing. His wife Debbie was arrested and charged with murder; however, the all-woman jury found her Not Guilty, accepting her defense that he accidentally sat down on it...

Reply to
Hachiroku

LOL....

I was gonna say....is he still alive, and he isn't...

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I just had an argument with a Liberal woman who was complaining that I drive too fast. . . . . In Chicago, where the average speed in non-rush hour on the I-294 is nearly 70 in the RIGHT lane. My sister says I drive like an old Grandad, maybe I should move to Florida? Typical liberal. Tried to manipulate me by crying. What she wanted was for me to drive a LOT slower. In Chicago traffic, that's almost daring to get hit. I go with the traffic. I've been driving in the Chicago area for over a decade.

We've got an entire generation of LIEBERAL self-absorbed women who think they are always right. Thank you, Gloria Steinem. And the horse you rode in on.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

That Bob is a wonderful role model for all of us, Debbie is a bit heavy handed though. You women out there should learn from her mistake ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I tried to help my grandmother when she was 95 year old but she insisted on pruning her apple trees by herself and digging her own vegetable garden, by hand ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Charles. Perhaps you should stop and ask somebody for directions. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I know where I'm going, I just usually have to take the tollway to get where I'm going. Cops never seem to be on the Tollway, so people speed with impunity. They don't even go as fast on the non-tollways, but they do exceed the speed limit by a bit. In Chicago, there are two kinds of drivers: The Quick and the Dead. The lady wants me to unjoin the first group, which means she really wants me to join the second group. FTS. I'm just barely keeping up with traffic most of the time, and she still thinks it's too fast. I learned long ago that being a 'bump' in the traffic flow is probably the most dangerous way to drive in Chicago. I've been driving in Chicago traffic since '91 and in Illinois traffic off and on since 1974.

Typical liberal, brings a knife to a gunfight.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

Brother, I feel your pain. My wife found absolutely NOTHING funny with the original post. She figured that Bob desired to die...slowly though. I, by the way, took 'early retirement" at the age of 42 and am STILL very much alive.

Reply to
sharx35

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Oh Charles, get a grip. Being liberal or being conservative has absolutely, positively nothing to do with how fast or slow one drives. In fact, liberals, being smarter, are most likely better drivers. Wait until the next congress, when Nancy Pelosi becomes Speaker of the House, and you can drive the way you want to drive, into the sunset.

Reply to
mack

It's just misogynist Charles, opening his big mouth again.

Reply to
Stuart Krivis

If I was driving around for that many years I would stop and ask directections, rather than just keep on driveing around ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Charles is a total whack-job. Here, he again displays for us his abominable "logic" - the incredible lack of common-sense so typical among right-wingers and religious radicals.

Reply to
dizzy

[drivel snipped]

Come to Boston, sometime. We eat Illinois plates for breakfast.

On second thought, avoid Boston. Not only will you find yourself utterly unable to merge onto I-93, all the women I've met there have brains and self-respect. There's no joy for you in Beantown.

Reply to
dh

How many times does Charles of Schaumburg laugh at a joke?

Three times. First, when you tell it to him. Second, when you explain it to him. Third, a week later when he finally figures it out.

Reply to
dh

Boston is just a wanabe NY,NY.

Not even close.

Why lie? Everyone knows that which you call women are ugly as sin and dumb as a rock.

Plenty of joy laughing at the likes of you.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

If you haven't driven in California, you haven't driven.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I have. Around the Bay area. No, wait, I did rent a car in LA, once. But it was a long time ago and the experience was fairly unremarkable. Of course, I was driving a Volvo(*) and I had really good insurance and, being from out of town, no points would collect on my home-state license. In such a situation, you start to think you're bulletproof and the other drivers sense this and stay the hell away. I did not get the opportunity to sit, nearly motionless, hour after hour, on "the four-oh-five" or whatever, jockeying for position by inches, so perhaps I haven't had the full experience?

The roads are a little confusing in parts of LA and the Bay area but still better than Boston. Way better. Of course, Boston has improved, too. It used to be that about 6 roads converged at the entrance to the Callahan tunnel (or was it the Sumner? I could never remember which went to the airport and which came back).

Be that as it may, six lanes to two, with a variety of last-minute right-hand turns into the mixing area; lots of fun. I forget exactly what the interchange is like, now, but I went through there - oh, early this summer - and it has been significantly improved.

And many of your commuter routes in the Boston area are not divided highways - or even 4-lane highways. 2-Lane secondary roads get very heavy travel. To turn left from a side street across the dominant flow of *heavy* traffic onto one of these "arteries" without traffic control requires a good eye, nerves of steel and, preferably, fuel injection as having a carbureted engine stall as you pull out is a very, very exciting thing.

Jersey turns? Boston's got 'em. I've gotten out of the habit of doing those here in the Mildwest but whenever I pulled that trick in traffic here it really got the natives excited. Of course, out here, people aren't expecting that maneuver and don't react all that well to it - it can easily lead to disaster because it's outside their realm of expeience and they sometimes just continue to think their simple, Mildwestern thoughts, daydreaming along and drive straight ahead, right into the side of your car. Beyond that, I was surprised that people seemed to take this affront to their motoring sensibilities so personally. I gave it up partly for that reason and partly because it's not a necessary weapon in your arsenal to get around out here (there's far less traffic than in Boston and, if you simply wait your turn, eventually you get across pretty much any road here). I think the last time I did one out here was a few years ago, just by way of demonstrating what I meant by Jersey turn to a front-seat passenger, who was a native of the Mildwest. He thanked me for my consideration and, ever since, if we go to lunch together, he offers to drive. In fact, he insists on it.

But, I must admit that I no longer pull that maneuver in Boston, either - it's something that you must keep in practice or you lose your touch.

(*) - that alone was quite a surprise: Hertz in California rented me a Volvo. We're not in Kansas, anymore, Toto. It was a 240 sedan, so you can see that this was a good while ago. Possibly 1991.

Reply to
DH

Boston Sunday Globe Magazine, about twenty years ago: "The best way to drive in Boston: Start straight ahead and GUN IT!"

I hate Boston almost as much as New York! When I was living in Hartford it was easier driving than Boston!

I used to go to Boston every three weeks with my first wife, cause she was Chinese and we'd hit Chinatown for groceries. We were living in Westfield then, but even in Connecticut we'd still go to Boston for 'supplies'.

Right behind the Combat Zone!

Reply to
.//Hachiroku

"Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore..."

is the .wav that starts my Windoze machine at work every morning! ;)

Reply to
.//Hachiroku