{OT} Guys, TRY to be considerate to the Little Lady...here's how!

Boston drivers eat virtually *all* plates for breakfast; maybe pedestrians too. ;-)

Boston & its suburbs (incl. north shore) has the most awful signage, IMO. It's either extremely vague, or else non-existent. Then there are the one-way streets which have no apparent rhyme or reason - no pattern, & which can even change directions halfway down the street! It may be one-way going west up till an intersection & now all-of-sudden it's one-way going east. Ackkk!

OTOH, I think Paris has even Boston beat, re; driving. I don't think you could pay me to drive in Paris. And I think the drivers there may actually target pedestrians. ;-)

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I learned to drive in the Washington D.C. Metro area. Is that worth any points?

If you're on the Beltway no matter how fast you're going you do not leave enough space in front of you for someone to dart in and out of. Allowing someone to get in front of you is more dangerous than not having enough space separating you from the car ahead.

Reply to
badgolferman

Yes. Have driven there only once, long ago, and it was enough for me...

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Bet those 1943-1948 soybean plates tasted good.

No thanks, I've been to DC twice and LA twice. They have two plates so the other states can see them coming and get the ^#$% out of the way.

Charles

And they're probably all LIEberals which means they have no brains and no real self respect, they just parrot moveon.org.

Somebody is voting for Obese-One Kennennedy and John (I wanna be Jack) Kerry.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

Yeah, DC's pretty bad. It would be a tough place to learn.

The one good thing about DC was that they designed the city core with wide boulevards way back in 1800 or so, which helps a great deal with downtown congestion. Thank you, L'Enfant.

They do drive kinda fast. I was out on I-95 with a friend, once, way back in college (prior to the 55 limits). We were cruising along, more or less keeping up with traffic, in the right lane of three in his dad's wagon. I glanced over.and my friend was doing 95. EVERYBODY was doing 95.

I should not be snotty about Boston driving. Every place probably has its own special mix of challenges.

Reply to
dh

Self tagging yourself as a bad driver to warn other drivers, IMHO. The only people who actually want to drive those ugly as sin Swedish bank-vaults-on-wheels are people who make a habit of getting into nasty smackers on a regular basis and "want a safe car".

Note: When you see a side or corner of a car that is all banged up (Especially on a Volvo) stay away from it, there's usually a reason it hasn't been fixed. I'll back off or move over - and then they'll make a no-look lane change, or make a right turn from the left lane, and be right where I was fifteen seconds ago...

Bull. They have Interstate Compacts now - the points from OOS accidents or moving violations might take a while to follow you home, but if you can't drive at home and are getting to the danger level on points the 'away' points will catch up with you eventually.

You want to collect lots of points on your license, come back to California and make it a habit of doing Jersey Turns. Lots of people see the opposing Yellow, look to see that cross traffic has cleared, and they stand on it on the Green - they are NOT looking at the opposing left turn lane...

And then there are the Guttersnipes that are timing the green light to pass the standing traffic in the 3rd lane and/or the curb/parking lane, and they can't see past the stopped cars to the opposing Left Turn lane to even know you are moving out of turn - till you pop up right in front of them...

Odds are high that you'll soon either get T-Boned, ticketed, or both. And if you get hit, you are at fault - the through traffic has the right of way over someone making a turn across traffic.

Wait for the end of the cycle - as long as you are across the limit line, you can complete the turn then. If there are no gaps you can only get two or three cars through on a cycle, but you'll get there eventually.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I've driven in Boston a little bit and it didn't seem horrible. It was worse than Cleveland, but about the same as Chicago and Detroit. Pittsburgh used to be really bad IMO, but they redesigned the traffic flow using a bunch of one way roads in the mid '80s and it seems to be better now.

NYC and Jersey are the worst places I've ever driven. One hand on the wheel and one on the horn. :-)

Then there's Cleveland during a blizzard. That can get nerve-wracking. I commuted to downtown Cleveland via bus for a number of years, and it was about a 1/2 hour ride. You were just about guaranteed that at least once a year there would be a severe snowfall during rush hour and the bus ride would take 3 hours.

The first snowfall of the season is also bad. People seem to forget about how to drive in the snow over the summer, so there are lots of accidents until they remember what snow is like.

Then there are the yahoos in pickup trucks and SUVs that pass everyone at high speed because they think they're immune to bad weather. You usually see them stuck off in the median in the next mile or so. :-)

Or how about Dead Man's Curve. :-)

's_Curve

Reply to
Stuart Krivis

Ok, you win. :-)

Reply to
Stuart Krivis

I believe this happens all over. I usually stay home the day of the first snowfall just because of this!

I had an '83 AWD Tercel a couple years ago, and it is surprising the feeling of control you get with all four wheels getting powered.

But, Ice is ice, and tires will only grip so much snow before they start to unload...I wish I had a buck every time I saw an Explorer, S-10 or even

4-Runner on it's side in a ditch with the driver feezing his @ss off outside the cruiser...
Reply to
Hachiroku

I just found this and it made me laugh:) As for Bob he deserved what he got and yes I would say that cause I'm a women! I'm hard working and do my fair share but believe that in a relationship you should both work together nothing should be one sided:)

Reply to
Dileca