(OT:) HEY! Let's have two legal systems!!

This is from the UK. There are those who want to implemant Sharia Law for the Muslim citizens of the UK, who feel they meet a higher standard than the English do:

Sharia law in UK is 'unavoidable' Dr Williams says Muslims should have a choice in legal disputes

Dr Williams interview The Archbishop of Canterbury says the adoption of certain aspects of Sharia law in the UK "seems unavoidable".

Looks like the UK has it's own problems with immigrants, and is considering bending to accomodate those who want to live in Britain, but don't really want to be incorporated into British society.

Sound familiar, anyone?

Reply to
Hachiroku

C'mon Hachi! You and I have been around long enough to know when you start addressing previous wives as "plaintiff", we already have two legal systems. (Inserting my bite blocks now).

Reply to
user

Yeah, it reminds me of some people in the US, like Muslims, Amish, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses and some Jews, who all of whom tend to stay separate in society. In addition, there is some countries in the Americas where the people who settled the countries just took over from the natives, like the United States and Canada.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I think we should give it back.

Pack up everyone and move back to Europe or wherever you came from. You Canadians! Back to Britain/France! NOW, DAMMIT!!! Kiwis, and Aussies: ditto for you.

C'mon. Get real. We're talking things that happened hundreds of years ago here. We have an established society. Fit in or head back from whence you came.

Reply to
Hachiroku

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Actually, I skated BOTH times!!! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

The UK deserves what it gets with the invasion they have been allowing. Come to think of it, we deserve what we're getting with the invasion we've been allowing.....

Reply to
badgolferman

There was an interesting story about Muslims in England on this weekend's Speaking of Faith(R) from American Public Radio

I really liked both this particular episode and the Speaking of Faith in general. One of the thngs Ed Husain (the gentleman being interviewed) said is that in America, Muslims are able to be both Americans and Muslims, but in Britain they have a hard time establishing British identity, something I did not realize when I wrote my prior comments. I really recommend both this episode and the show, in general. One of the cool things about show is that they let you hear the entire interview over the internet, not just the portions that were broadcast on the show.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The concept of assimilation into a culture you immigrate to seems to have become lost over the last twenty years. The British are experiencing it with the Moslems and we are experiencing it with the Mexicans.

The forced choice of "Press 1 for English" is a tremendous insult to the established majority of the country. There is no reason I must do that when using the credit card machine at Food Lion or trying to call my insurance company.

I have to call customers and fix their problems with the services my company provides. Quite often I reach someone who can't talk to me because they refuse to learn the official language of America. In some cases I am able to transfer them to the Spanish speaking group of representatives but most often their problems go unfixed.

Reply to
badgolferman

I can't listen to the interview at the moment, but the theory makes perfect sense, except to Hach who has an odd need to not consider any ideas other than the ones he's stuck on. I don't think we can look at England and say we're next to have their problems. Why haven't we already had the same problems?

Here (Rochester NY), we have a pretty big Islamic community, and I have never heard anyone complain about how they fit into the larger community. Maybe it's because many of them were attracted to this city for professional reasons and are connected with Kodak, Xerox, Rochester Institute of Technology, or the U of R and its affiliated teaching hospital. I might be different if most of the population was in a lower income bracket, but that tends to foment unrest in any category of people.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Sounds like a very interesting survey. Cite, please.

Airports (including many of ours) have multiple languages on their signs. You OK with that?

What a terrible effort that must be for you. Poor baby.

Good. They'll learn, or suffer.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

My experience with the Mexicans and other Latino peoples is that they are hard-working people who want to have their kids lead better lives than they did. Sounds like their American counterparts. When people came from Europe, they lived in their own communities, went to their own churches and temples, their own schools and pretty much kept to themselves. In many communities today, there are Roman Catholic churches near each other. In the old days, the people who went to the neighboring churches were predominantly from different countries.

What is the official language of the US?

To me, it is not an insult at all.

Gee, the nerve of a grocery store trying to serve the people who actually buy their food or an insurance company trying to help its costumers.

Again, what is the official language of the US?

Hint: there isn't one.

A smart person would see this as an opportunity to help his company and grow personally by learning a new language.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I have never had any problems with anyone because of their cultural heritage. I think Morgan Freeman said it well in the "Robin Hood: Prince of Theives" movie when a child asked "Why [did God paint you]?" and he replied, "Because Allah loves wondrous varieties."

Reply to
Jeff

We haven't? Two Muslim kids have Jell-o removed from the school menu...what about the other 1,000. And in the same school the mother took offense to the Christmas decorations, and down they came. And this is not the only example. There have been plenty over the past few years.

3-7PM EST.

But then again, what I just described isn't one system for the Muslims, and one for Americans. We're changing our system to accomodate the Muslims. The Mexicans. The Asians. The Africans. The Hindus. Yada. Yada. Yada.

If they don't like it here, they can always GO BACK. My grandfather learned to speak English and didn't expect anyone to learn German for him.

so there.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Sorry, BGM, there is NO official language in America. It has never been defined wither by the Founding Fathers or Congress...

a sad failure on our part...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Right. My grandfather gave up speaking German when he came here because he wanted to be an American.

I never heard him say "German-American". He was PROUD to be an American.

Those woh aren't, the hyphenated residents of America, could always go back to the countries they're so proud of. Why come here in the first place if you don't want to be an American?

Reply to
Hachiroku

If they don't like the food or their parents don't want them to eat it, they have them eat something else.

I don't object to removing religious Christmas decorations (like the Nativity), I see nothing wrong with having secular decorations.

We have also changed the system to accommodate other groups, like show respect for Jews.

A lot of them are Americans.

Really? When my father was a kid, some people would let their kids play with him because his grandparents were German (that was between the World Wars).

While I do totally agree with showing respect for people of all cultures, and our lives are richer for having people of different cultures in our lives, it is also respectful to allow others to celebrate both their religious and secular holidays.

The Muslims do have strict laws about going into houses of worship of other religions, and having religious decorations would have been inappropraite, but as long as the Christmas decorations were secular (Christmas trees, Santa Claus and winter stuff, like sleighs), I see no harm in it. Likewise, if I were a teacher there, I would be tempted to put up a New Years Tree, which is a tree that is decorated with hanging balls and other ornaments, lights and maybe a star at the top. In fact, it would look a lot like a Christmas tree.

Living in the world and showing respect to people other cultures goes both ways.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

In the case of African-Americans, and other groups of people including the slaves in America today, in many cases it has to do with people gathering them up, putting them on a ship (or airplane) and selling the people once they get here.

I don't see anything wrong with being proud of one's heritage, such as German-Americans or Russian-Americans.

My grandparents were proud to be American, too. Unfortunately, with the anti-German sentiment of the time, the great German language was never passed down from generation to generation. Unfortunately, same thing is true of people who families came from other countries, like those who came from Japan before the war (perhaps it had something to do with those illegal camps the US set up to detain American citizens of Japanese ancestry during WWII).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Well, maybe not on the federal level and that's only because we have several different states that do.

According to U.S. English, the following states have existing official language laws on their books: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Wyoming.

badgolferman

Where did he say it was a survey? It's fact that English speaking residents ARE the established majority.

I deem it quite an insult that the default for any recorded message, ATM, or any other menu isn't English. What's wrong with hearing a recording that starts out in English, then pauses and switches to Spanish saying, "To continue in Spanish, press 2." ?

Reply to
witfal

Well, they simply removed Jell-O from the menu. Screw everyone else. It offended the Muslim mother...

They remeved the lights, the trees, etc etc.

That's a bit different. For example, if you go to a government cafeteria, they have a menu for Muslims and a menu for the rest of the world.

That's not what it seems Muslims want. If they find it offensive, it must go.

Unless you're a Muslim, then anyone who is less religious (in the same fashion) as you is an Infidel.

Reply to
Hachiroku