OT# Hey Scott in Florida

What do you think of this attempt in Congress to ban incandescent light bulbs? I think it's a shame those who are pushing for it haven't done their homework.

Will we have to apply for an exemption 30-60 days before Christmas? Will we have to forego a light bulb in the microwave oven?

I think we're being LED down the wrong path I tell ya.

Reply to
mark digital©

Definitely.

I think it is fine that Congress set the standards, but let industry determine the best technology to meet the standards. There should also be exceptions for applications where other technologies don't work, like microwave ovens.

In addition, one of the incandescent light bulb makers is working on a bulb that is many times more efficient than regular incandescent light bulbs, and at least as efficient as regular light bulbs. I forget which company, but it might be GE.

So, if Congress writes the regulations, they need to be careful in increase innovation, not stifle it.

BTW, I think CA's legislature is working on a similar law.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I would like to point out something I learned recently from my electrician when I told him my florescent tubes were failing prematurely. He said the tubes must be kept on. (Left, instead of kept, if you like) I use toggle wall dimmers in certain rooms and it took much effort to educate the rest of the family as to the hazards of substituting fluorescents I had in stock for the burned out incandescent. Will they remember? I'm not about to spring for the even more expensive fluorescents that can handle variable power.

Reply to
mark digital©

IIRC, Flourescent bulbs contain MUCH higher amounts of mercury than incandescents. Hope they take this into account when it comes time to dispose of the bulbs...

Reply to
Hachiroku

That's what I was thinking...

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

This is part of the global warming panic, set up by none other than algore and his cheap flick. Look for more cockamamie ideas being floated. Why hell, just this week I read they're proposing to put catalitic converters on lawnmowers. It will first start in California and the rest will follow. It is amazing how easy people are led.

Reply to
dbu.,

Don't use dimmers. They generate globs of RFI. Some brands are better than others but they are all dirty.

Reply to
dbu.,

In all their wisdom they will charge you a fee for recycliing that bulb :). this is all about forking over money. Global warming is just the excuse. :)

Reply to
dbu.,

Can you think of at least one valid and proven reason to reduce emissions, assuming global warming was not an issue?

Just one. It's easy.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Why should I answer one of your questions when you refuse to answer mine. Take a hike.

Reply to
dbu.,

Yes. Increase sales. You deal in stocks, right?

Reply to
mark digital©

Whenever you claim I don't answer your questions, you're unable to point out the one you're talking about.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Those terrible bulbs contain MERCURY.

Just wait till the land fills start ruining our ground water with this crap.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

There will be a hefty user fee, then watch all the greenies complain. LOL.

Reply to
dbu.,

I wouldn't complain against a legitimate fee for proper disposal, but I do complain when I see something adopted which hasn't been well thought out.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Like carbon credits, like mans impact on global warming, like the failure to see the solar impact on global warming...

Reply to
Leythos

Carbon credits can work. For carbon credits to work, there has to be a real limit. A similar idea worked with sulfur credits in the US, limiting the amount of sulfur dioxide produced. But carbon credits where there is no real limit on production is not a good idea.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

You don't own a Prius, do you? When it was first sold, there was no real way to deal with the batteries.

I don't know if they have developed recycling for them yet or not...

And as far as mercury, it would seem to me there should be some way to recapture it. It's mercury vapor.

Reply to
Hachiroku

There are recycling facilities that will recycle the recyclable parts of Prius batteries. I think Toyota dealers will accept them for recycling.

Reply to
Ray O

I didn't think they'd be out too long without a method for disposal.

Reply to
Hachiroku