OT~Hey Wickeddoll

Thought you might find this interesting: Los Angeles Times September 24, 2007

San Bernardino Airport May See Flights Next Year

The facility at the former Norton Air Force Base has languished since the base closed in '94. But it's being upgraded, and the city says air service is coming soon.

For years, San Bernardino International Airport has seemed more fiction than fact, a vast sheet of concrete with a grand title where the chirp of crickets is often louder than the roar of jet engines.

The very things that make an airport an airport -- passengers, terminals, scheduled flights -- are missing here. The control tower is impressive but empty.

But years of quiet building, ambitious starts and frequent failures might finally be paying off.

Officials at the airport, the former Norton Air Force Base, now say they are negotiating with four airlines for regular passenger service to begin next year.

Full story:

F.H.

"F.H." ...

San Bernardino?!

I didn't even know they closed Norton. My reservist friend worked there.

I never heard of it at all - how long has it been there, I wonder.

Hmmm, I can't imagine wanting to fly into San Berdo, but if there's a market, I guess it's worthwhile.

Thanks!

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

"Wickeddoll®" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.evilcabal.org:

Summer before last we considered flying in to San Bernardino when we went down to SoCal for vacation.

Problem was, SBD was way, WAY the hell out there.

LAX was a lot more convenient to everywhere we wanted to go, so there we went.

Reply to
Tegger

I think they are looking mostly for freight. Here's another link that might interest you:

F.H.

Ah, thanks.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

"Jeff Strickland" ...

Ontario used to be pretty busy, but that was back when March, Norton and George AFBs were still open.

MARCH is closed too?!

WTF do you go for reserve duty?! I guess nowhere. :-P

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

You jest?

Reply to
F.H.

They're not all in Iraq; you still have to run the domestic units.

:-P

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Ontario Intl Airport is a delight, because it's almost brand new (the old

40s style airport down the road was way overcrowded, and you expected a DC-3 to pull up at the gate) and mainly because although it is handling lots of commercial traffic, there's still a feeling of roominess and leisurely going about the business of arrivals and departures, unlike LAX, which has become a zoo. We use ONT whenever we can, because it is so "no sweat". The LA airport authority is pushing both ONT and Palmdale as alternates to LAX.

We often fly out of either ONT or San Diego, which is fun to land at because of being on the glide path and watching yourself scooting over the roofs of the downtown buildings. It's supposedly a hazardous airport to land at (Black Star maybe?) but a retired TWA 747 pilot of my acquaintance says it's really easy to use. He didn't even mind Hong Kong, though, with his skills.

Reply to
mack

I've used SD a few times. There's a bar (or used to be?) with a view of the approach where you can put head phones on and listen to the pilots and tower chatter. The had a hell of a midair there back in 78 between a PSA airliner and a small Cessna and for sure I was thinking about it when I landed there.

Reply to
F.H.

I'm glad I scrolled down for your clarification. I pass by March on the I-215 on my way to work and back every week. I just finished a killer 4 in a row work week ;-), and on either Friday or Saturday evening I saw a large transport taking off as I passed the base at 75mph. It was taking off headed toward the north over Riverside.

Reply to
Truckdude

"Jeff Strickland" ..

OK. Yeah, I went to March for a neurological problem once (in 1988)

So Victorville is way bigger, and Riverside is dying? What's wrong with that picture? :-P

So now they're trying that with Norton? Ain't gonna happen.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

"mack" ...

Gawd, I haven't been to that airport since, well, 1989, when I first introduced my then-infant son to my family.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

"Truckdude" ...

*snip*

I drove up and down 215 while taking driving lessons from Sears Driving School out of Riverside. There were plenty of idjits on that highway back then (early 1988), so I'm sure the number has increased exponentially.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

If they have a "old shaky" (C-124), be sure to visit the cockpit, there is a ladder you have to climb. It is one of the greatest cockpits ever built. Lots of dials, levers and knobs. The DC-10 (KC-10 military version) is another great one.

Reply to
dbu`

I know, I know. It's one of those "I've been meaning to do" type of things that never quite happens. I only pass by it 28 times a month!

Reply to
Truckdude

From what I've heard, George is completely dead. I thought everything moved to Norton, but guess not. Sounds like March is the sole Air Force installation in that area.

Can't remember whether Edwards is in that area. The shuttles usually land there, if I recall correctly.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®