(OT:) Interesting talk with a Gov't geologist yesterday...

Who said 'Global Warming' is a fad. He said the Earth changes it's climate about every 15,000 years, arid regions shift locations and periods of warming are generally followed by an Ice Age.

Hmmm....where have I heard this before.

Considering he has a full blown degree and works in the field, I'd say my 'reading a few books on geology" have served me well...

Reply to
Hachiroku

The problem is Hach, that AlGore doesn't have a degree in Geology but he knows nearly as much as Billary about everything and has a HOLLYWOOD oscar to prove it. So science doesn't mean squat. I guess it was the "global warming" that caused the glaciers to melt around the great lakes. (So many camp fires - so many people) what 10,000 years ago?

Now if we could just get the world population back to 1900 levels..............................

I can imagine the flames from our learned co-posters now!

Ron in Ca.

Reply to
ron

Right - - those changes take place because of the 15,000 year precession of the pole, but the global warming that's due to man's carbon dioxide output is taking place much faster than that - - two entirely different phenomena.

Reply to
Chuck Olson

Um...according to the IPCC's own data, it's been just about...oh, 15,000 years...

Reply to
hachiroku

Every 15,000 years? Earth is about 4.5 billion years old. How many ice age did earth have so far?

Reply to
EdV

The earth's climate has changed dramatically since it was formed. At first it was basically molten lava (still is beneath the earth's crust). So while there have been several cyclical ice ages during the last several hundred thousand years, it is not correct to assume that "ice ages" go all the way back to earth's creation, or that one could find any definitive evidence that far back.

The last ice age ended about 15,000 years ago, during which the upper half of the US and all of Canada where cover by glaciers. The Great Lakes were created by melting glaciers. Since the ice age ended, the earth has gotten considerably warmer (obviously), and the overwhelming majority of that warming was not caused by humans since it occurred well before the industrial age. However, some portion of the most recent warming (about 1 degree centigrade in the last 150 years) most likely is caused by humans.

Although the most recent ice age ended about 15,000 years ago, it started longer ago than that, so the actual cycle times are much longer than 15,000 years (probably closer to 80,000 per cycle).

If you Google "ice age cyclical" you will get many hits to explain this. Here is one such link:

Mark A

I believe precession is closer to 50K years.

Reply to
witfal

Chuck E Cheese is a noisy place. Maybe Hach heard it incorrectly.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Nah. Both I and DH posted info from the IPCC that shows the climate warms every 10-15,000 years. Just before and ice age. It's right there on the IPCC's web site as a chart showing the Earth's temperature as represented by Ice core samples.

But, I knew that already, having read a few geology books.

No rocket science involved. Just agendas...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Probably about 15-20.

You have to take into account the Earth has also been *COOLING* since it's creation.

The Universe is a VERY cold place, and the trend is for everything in the universe to level off to a single temperature, which will be quite cold.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Right.

This chart here, which shows temperature and CO2 levels for the past

500,000 years, was posted on the IPCC's web site (Feh...try to find it now. They must have realized it made them look st00pid...)

You can clearly see there is a distinct coorelation between temperature and CO2 levels.

At the extreme right side of the graph you can see the temperature still has NOT reached it's highest historical levels, and yet CO2 is almost off the chart. Yeah, man does have an effect on CO2 levels, but earth abides. After this period of warming there WILL be a oooling, and NOTHING can stop it.

Reply to
Hachiroku