(OT) John Edwards

He's gonna walk.

The prosecution painted an excellent picture of a complete asshole, but that's not what he was charged with. Unless there is testimony that that he knew money was diverted to Hunter, AND that the money came from campaign coffers, then all he did was have an affair while his wife was dying of breast cancer. Clearly, he is a despicable human being, but that is not an illegal act.

He's a scumbag of the highest order, no question about that. But he's not on trial for being a scumbag, and I don't think they did a good job or prosecuting what he was on trial for.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Megyn Kelly is on O' Really right now, and she says Edwards is gonna hang. She says the prosecution showed he violated the law, I say all they did was show that he's a creep of the highest order.

I don't know what he knew or when, and the prosecutor did not make that clear. The only person that could clear this up is Mellon, and she's dead. What we know without equivocation is that Edwards had an affair when 1.) he was running for Prez., and 2.) when his wife was at home dying of breast cancer. This makes him a creep, but it's not illegal. I say he's gonna walk. I'm not pro-Edwards by any stretch, but the case as charged was not proven, and what was proven is not illegal although by any measure it is despicable.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

A bit judgmental don't you think. In the grand scheme of things, a few notches above the likes of Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, Jim Bakker, etc. He DID take care of his wife during much of her sickness.

Reply to
homey

Yes, he did, but so what? Taking care of one's wife is the expected thing to do, you don't get brownie points for doing what you are supposed to do. Having a hooker for a girlfriend on the side is the not-expected thing to do, and any points one amasses in life get deducted very quickly when you do stuff you are not supposed to do.

But the charge here is that he did stuff that is illegal, and the prosecution did not show very well that what he did was illegal. John Edwards is the consumate creep, the prosecution did show that. He's gonna walk on the charges. And, no I don't think it is judgemental. But so what if it is, he's on trial, so a judgement is required. THAT'S the point of any trial, to render judgement.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Have you driven an '86 yet?

Reply to
homey

They are reporting right now that the jury has reached a verdict. They are saying the verdict will be announced, "in minutes." They are herding all of the people into the court as I am typing.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Hung on all but one count. A fluid situation...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

There are six counts, and there is only a verdict on one of them. We don't know what the verdict is yet, but the hang on the other 5 charges is a victory for Edwards.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

NOT GUILTY, Count 3. The other five counts are still hung.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland