{OT} july 4th celebration

Flags burn in celebration

By GENEVIEVE BOOKWALTER SENTINEL STAFF WRITER

About 25 revelers celebrated their freedom of speech and welcomed the Fourth of July on Monday night with the "2nd Annual Old Time American Flag Burn."

Around a burn barrel at Seabright State Beach, organizer Brent Adams,

41, of Santa Cruz, declared flag burning not a protest, but a celebration of the Constitution's First Amendment.

"It seemed like a good idea to burn some flags just because we can," added fellow organizer Sha Lar, 32, of Santa Cruz.

The festivities were especially relevant after a constitutional amendment allowing Congress to ban flag desecration died in the Senate last week.

That proposal came in response to Supreme Court rulings in 1989 and

1990 that burning and other desecrations of the flag are protected as free speech by the First Amendment.

But it failed by one vote in the Senate to reach the two-thirds approval required before going to the states for ratification.

"The Senate overruled it by one vote, and let's celebrate it," Lar said. Some at the celebration noted that in other countries, they could be shot for torching the national flag.

Poison Oak, 35, of Aptos, said he wanted to "reclaim the flag. Not only those who support President George W. Bush can wave the red white and blue."

Still, not everyone on the beach appreciated stars and stripes melting over the fire.

"I think they should keep it to themselves," said Bill Crawford, 16, of Aptos, who was on the beach with buddies Elijah Manchester and Jacob Kendall, both 16 and from Santa Cruz.

The trio looked away as flames consumed the large and small flags.

"To me this is what represents our nation and what represents our freedom," Manchester said. He questioned why the group would want to burn the symbol of free speech.

Despite their different views, those who didn't agree with flag burning were still welcome at the event, said Igliashon Jones, 23, of Santa Cruz. Free speech is what it was all about.

"I don't think this would be what it is without debate," Jones said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Contact Genevieve Bookwalter at snipped-for-privacy@santacruzsentinel.com.

Reply to
badgolferman