(OT:) k00ks in the n00z, too

During a program on the BBC concerning "Sustainable Shopping", a k00k from Friends of the Earth uttered the absolute nonsense that the world's biggest retailers should be limited as to how much they can grow, and that this limit should be set by the government.

Huh? Isn't the idea of being in business to do as much business as you can?

This same k00k has railed against the Nano, Bio fuels, stem cell research, yada yada yada. I don't know why the BBC lets her speak. You have to listen, she really is a k00k of the first degree.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Usually.

What do you do for a living? I'm curious.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I'm a Dell Field Service Rep.

Reply to
Hachiroku

What's your favorite external hard drive, and why?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

LaCie. They're bulletproof.

Reply to
witfal

My condolences.

Charles the Curmudgeon. Who also works in Information Services.

Reply to
<n5hsr

Heck no! Business is good!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Don't got one.

When I do use one, I make my own:

Hachiroku

Here's a thread about external hard drive enclosures. It spans two years:

Be sure the enclosure's power supply is UL or CSA approved . Almost all external supplies are, but many internal ones are not, like this one inside a Neo brand enclosure:

No overvoltage protection, probably no overcurrent protection, and the high voltage components were separated from the USB controller circuit board by just a thin piece of plastic. Also the enclosure was made of acrylic, which is normally pretty flammable, not the polycarbonate claimed by Neo, and the hard drive mounted flush against the bottom, preventing good ventilation of the electronics. The latter may have caused one person's drive to burn out one of its chips in short time after installation in the enclosure, but it's possible that some 1/8" spacers over the mounting screws would have prevented that. BTW, Dealsonic.com sold these, and they refunded that person both what he paid for the enclosure and the cost of the burned-out hard drive, and in my case they refunded the cost of the enclosure and shipping both ways. Good company.

In comparison, here's a Bytecc enclosure made by Wellbrand and containing a UL-approved internal power supply (at rear, inside the slotted metal box):

larry moe 'n curly

Thanks! The goal here is a backup device for 3 different computers. Not full disk imaging, just a shitload of data. This will be done every couple of weeks, with daily CD-RW backups. The external HD will spend most of its life in a safe deposit box. Yeah...a pain to access, but I'm funny that way.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If it works. BTW, these enclosures work very well with Windows, but kind of suck with Linux. If you're 99.9% and running Windoze, you'll have no problem. If you're .1% and running Linux, prepare to start your backup and then have a yardful of work or an old car that needs rebuilding from the ground up ready.

There are some voodoo settings that are supposed to make these work better with Linux, but I haven't found them yet.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Thanks, but I'm not likely to assemble something myself. I can, but I won't.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Takes three seconds! Remove two screws, attach an IDE drive, slide the tray back in and replace the screws. All done. Get a 200G drive for $70 and the tray for $30. Comes with power supply and cable.

Reply to
Hachiroku