OT-lazy relatives-stupid me

Last summer I paid to have two large maple trees taken down. The guy doing the actual cutting said it would be ashamed to lose the big chunks to his chipper and wondered if I knew anyone who could use the wood. Sure, doesn't everyone have a relative who burns wood? It took four weeks of prodding before this one relative finally came around and took the wood. It wasn't until I mentioned his sister was interested in the wood that he finally got off his dead ass. He got about a little over a cord. My lawn was dead where it was but it came back this year.

This year I cut some hardwood and stacked it thinking I was going to burn wood but we changed our minds. I called my relative again and he came by and said he'd take it all plus he'd take the pallets for his friend. Weeks and weeks went by and so did the excuses. I finally got fed up and cut up the pallets, gathered up all the other wood and made two trips to his house. The first visit nobody was home. The second visit his wife was home and blasted me for leaving wood with some paint on it. I told her it wasn't for them. We sat and talked about other things for awhile and then I left.

I went straight home. It takes about 45 minutes via the MA turnpike. I'm into this for a couple of bucks for tolls and gasoline. I walk in the door and there's a phone call. No hello, just "What the f*ck is it with that painted wood?" my relative asks. I say about two words and he cuts me off. "Wife just called me all upset" . Well, it's only latex and it's old and faded. But if you don't want it put it in two trash bags and place it on the tree belt. "They want $2.00 a bag to haul if off!!" OK, I said, I'll be back in the morning and take it away.

I'm a jerk. You can quote me. Three years ago.... He asked for my chain link fence because he knew I was planning to have another type put in it's place. I said he could have the fence if either he pulled it all up or paid $400 (good deal) for the installers to pull it up. "Aren't you having it pulled out anyway?", he asked. "No, if you don't want it I'm going to have them install the new one in front of the old fence." He declined. I guess the reason why he wanted the fence to protect his kids wasn't really important. The chain link fence has a value close to 3 grand today and it's in good shape.

My wife doesn't want me to head up to his house this morning. "Make him wait" she says.

Reply to
mark digital

Sounds like your relative is a moocher. I wouldn't give him anything anymore. Do what your wife says and you'll both be happier.

Reply to
badgolferman

Back when he wanted the fence he showed up earlier with a broken ozone generator he picked up at a tag sale for a couple of bucks thinking this would sweeten the pie so to speak. I didn't want it but he dropped it in my lap and it took some special precautions on my part to dispose of it. Yep, he's a moocher. He's a stock broker. His wife is a real estate agent. Both of them believe quite vehemently nobody but them and their clients deserve the money they "earn". Before 9/11 he bragged how much he was earning and how rich he was making his clients. Oddly though, he lost his brothers 20 grand, his sister's 10 grand and a few grand from another sister. And all before 9/11.

My wife came with me this morning. She looked at the small pile of wood and said, Is this what he's complaining about??? I can't believe it.And she looked at the un kept lawn and crap all over the place and said Let's get out of here. Its depressing. I said if Remax and Smith Barney knew that these two are working for them I'm sure they would get dropped like a hot potato.

Reply to
mark digital

He said he'd take it all, so you gave all of it to him. You even went out of your way to deliver it to him.

If he's unhappy with some of the wood at this point then it's his responsibility to get rid of it.

After that phone call he made, you should just ignore him from now on. He's a jerk.

Reply to
Stuart Krivis

He's MORE than a jerk. He's a ruddy asshole. If he was MY relative, I'd have NOTHING more to do with him or his wife. Bloody waste of skin, they are.

Reply to
sharx35

Where the hell have you been?

We have a new set of liberals to play with....LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Sharx is back!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Sounds like a putz. But truth be told, those kind of companys are full of people like that (some better and some worse).. But worse than that are the people who handle your food at the fast food joints... I go into a lot of people's houses on business and a number of them work in those type of places. Let's just say I don't go to restaraunts period..

I avoid my relatives at all costs. Relatives are better on TV....gee.. maybe I should watch less...

Reply to
Charles Pisano