OT - Near head-on collision

I got back from a bicycle ride about two hours ago. Nothing long, just a 20 mile, 78 degree-beautiful-day ride.

Near home, I'm going through a residential area adjacent to ours, with narrower than typical lanes. Oncoming is a Prius, black, with tinted (!) windows. A first for me.

As we near each other, at a combined speed of approximate 40 mph, me at

15 mph, he's veering over onto my side of the road. I'm watching this thinking, "He's just momentarily looking the wrong way, but (motorcycle experience here) I'd better be ready."

The distance is closing pretty rapidly so I chose a convenient driveway to exit the street. Now, I'll never know for sure, but from the perspective of the driveway, he'd have completely missed seeing me as he ended up on his left-side of the road pretty much where I had been.

Mind you, I'm wearing a white, blue, and yellow "Discover/Trek bicycle" jersey. Not exactly blending into the environment.

I yell at him, but with no response.

I'm still pissed.

Reply to
witfal

This is either a demo of how faith doesn't work, or that you should've been carrying, and used it. At the very least, you could've marked the tailgate so the cops would know to look for bullet holes.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You should always carry a couple of golf balls with you on your bike rides.

Reply to
Fred the Plumber

Would you really use a gun for something like this. Remember that waffle is expendable.

Reply to
dbu

It's a perfect example of how faith DOES work.

Faith in my riding skills. Faith in the driving habits of Prius owners.

Carrying? Wearing a jersey and biking shorts? Ever worn them? Printing would be a problem.

Reply to
witfal

Not a bad idea. That MIGHT have gotten his/her attention.

Reply to
witfal

I guess you need to find a way to carry it somewhere else.

There are no accidents involving motorists and bikes. Any contact between the two is intentional.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The problem is that on a warm day, even my .32 would be a problem.

Pretty much true.

On that note, an acquaintance of mine lost his friend Friday night. He was riding his Harley on 395 toward Mammoth Lakes. Apparently the California Highway Patrol had blocked off both north and south lanes due to illegal racing, but neglected to put up markers or warnings before the curve.

His friend rounded the curve and t-boned the CHP cruiser, killing him instantly.

Of course, the CHP says they did everything right.

Of course they did.

Just that day, he was hanging drywall in my acquaintance's expanded tattoo business. Hours later, a widow and three young children have to deal with this.

I hope she gets the best lawyer possible.

Reply to
witfal

I don't ride much on local streets any more, because NY gives driver's licenses to blind and dead people. But, I ride on an Erie Canal path, and I carry my little metal friend in a slim bag strapped onto the bike's center bar, in case someone wants me to off their dog. The bag doesn't get in the way at all.

Fake public service ad aired on WLIR-FM in the 1970s: "Are you big, strong and stupid? The Nassau County police department wants you. Come to our career fair next week..."

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Forgive my ignorance, but what does that mean?

Bill Putney

Outline of gun showing through clothing.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You really messed up. One hard pull on your handle bar and you could have ridden up the hood and over the roof of the Prius.

Reply to
Art

I sometimes carry rocks when I am biking for such occasions as this. If they didn't notice you before, they sure will after a rock hits their windshield.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

That's what I figured, but it was just a guess. Are you not allowed concealed carry permits where you are?

Bill Putney

The obvious outline of a concealed gun behind clothing.

Reply to
witfal

California? BWAHAHAHAHA.

That doesn't stop me from carrying when I really feel it's necessary, but very few counties have intelligent sheriffs.

State law gives them the right to determine that only friends, contributors, relatives, or cops can carry concealed.

Reply to
witfal

Had I been on my mountain bike, that might have been worth a try.

Reply to
witfal

I used to carry gravel in my left jacket pocket when I rode a motorcycle.

Reply to
witfal

I've also found that pennies work pretty good if you don't happen to have any gravel. What do you ride anyway? I ride a trek 1200C road bike. It has about $800 worth of aftermarket parts.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

It's legal for me, but because I have no insecurities about what's in my pants, I have no need to show off the fact that I'm carrying. And, guns bother some people, so I'm considerate. Others do differently, but they have issues.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom