{OT} Need New Leaf Vac

Does anyone have an opinion on Echo brand? I looked at their $199 blower/vac combo and I like how the catcher bag is located compared to my old Barracuda I've had for many years. I must have got fed up with the bag ripping and tossed it out because I can't find it.LOL!! I do that a lot and think I'll remember what I did. I also looked at a Poulin blower/vac for half the price but the setup for vac is similar to what I had. I never use these things for blowing leaves, just sucking them up, mulching and then throwing the stuff into a compost bin. Does anyone have a preference for a particular brand? mark_

Reply to
mark_digital

nowhere

I bought the echo chain saw and i love it! very solid...

Reply to
Dan J.S.

I have several Echo products: 2 chain saws, weed wicker, leaf blower, and leaf blower/sucker upper/mulcher.

The only maintenance I've done is sharpen/replace the chains on the chain saws, replace the pull rope on the chain saw when it was around 20 years old, and grease the drive shaft on the weed wicker. I probably should replace the spark plugs in the chain saws but it starts after the 3rd pull after sitting unused for a year and a half.

I got my chain saw around 1980 and it's still going strong. I think my dad got his around 1978. The weed wicker is around 5 years old, one of the leaf blowers is 6 or 7 years old and one is 2 years old.

My parents recently moved from a house to a condo, which is why I have 2 chain saws and leaf blowers.

The engines in the Echo products always start very easily compared to my neighbor's Craftsman branded products.

The leaf blowers do have a little of what I call "torque steer," that is, after they have warmed up and you rev the engine, it has a little tendency to rotate to the right. When the leaf blower/sucker upper/mulcher is in pickup mode, the pickup tube sometimes gets knocked off and IMO, it doesn't really mulch much - it just goes into the bag.

Echo products are used by most of the landscaping companies around here. Echo products are very reliable, durable, and easy to start. The bad part of owning an Echo is that when a new and better idea comes out 10 or 20 years down the road, yours is in perfectly serviceable condition.

Reply to
Ray O

I never seen him use it to blow leaves but my neighbor says his Echo has a tendency to "torque steer," as well. His pulls to the left though, it must have a different brand of tire ;)

mike

"Ray O" >> >

The leaf blowers do have a little of what I call "torque steer," that is,

Reply to
Mike Hunter

LOL! Maybe your neighbor doesn't know his left frrom his right - I thought all Echos torque to the right ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

I guess it depends the brand of tire. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Reply to
doc

Have you checked Consumer Reports at the library?

Reply to
Art

I've had Poulan, Echo, and other brands. They all last longer than I want them too. Ever see the commercial where the wife runs over all the tools and the husband pretends to be upset because he has to go to Home Depot and buy more?

A Poulan edger in particular was an incredible deal. Looked and worked like one that costs 3 times more.

Notwithstanding I would look in Consumer Reports for ratings. Especially for blowers. As it turns out, some electrics are better than gas units these days.

Reply to
Art

No other car manufacturer has been building cars longer than Ford..... (just kidding)

Reply to
Art

"gyroscopic precession" in physics terms I believe.

Ray O wrote:

Reply to
nowhere

I'll take your word for it ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

The response here has been more than adequate. mark_

Reply to
mark_digital

Electric lawn equipment? Can we assume your house is in a city and not in the suburbs on a two acre lot? ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

That is true for the car as well. ;)

mike hunt

Do not buy the extended warranty, if there is going to be a

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Picked up the Echo 210 today from HomeDepot.

Reply to
mark_digital