OT (not political...whew!)

I have seen the ads for new car dealers for years stating "one only" or "two only" and with a low price for a new vehicle. I've never been tempted to fall for this bait, but I wonder what happens if you do fall for it. Is the "one only" car mysteriously sold ten minutes after the ad appears, only to be replaced with two dozen cars at much higher prices?

Is the "one only" car purple and stripped of all accessories or something else that makes it barely saleable at any price?

Inquiring readers wanna know.

Reply to
mack

I gotta disagree with Jeff S. on this one:

This what is called a Loss Leader. Usually it is a hot item (case in point, an '88 Honda coupe I was looking at in March of '88..they were very rare) that had a LOT of stuff on it. But, like Jeff says, there was ONE of them. It had a lot of optional equipment on it and was priced about $3,500 less then it should have been.

They do this to get you into the showroom. If the guy had LISTENED to me, I wasn't interested in it. I wanted a 4-door with hardly anyhting, which would have meant a nice commission for him, but he was more interested in reading the paper (ARE YOU LISTENING, BALISE?!?!?!). But I digress.

They figure someone will come in and buy it rapidly, and then steer everyone else to other models with less equipment at the regular price. Looking back, I should have bought it, but we wound up getting a 4 door elsewhere for

Reply to
Hachiroku

Interesting. Where are you?

Around here (New England), it's always a tricked out ride that gets the treatment!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Perhaps that explains it!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Hey, Hachi--

Was just at the dealer's for NYS Inspection ($600 later) I had time to scour the showroom cars as reading material. They had a Scion two door for $15000 plus a $4500 TRD package plus Tax. Want the Address or phone #?

Reply to
tak

$4500 TRD PKG?! Did it include the Supercharger (or is it a Turbo?)

I can't even IMAGINE it! The freakin' thing is geared too low for the stock 2.4L. It NEEDS a 6-speed! With the Turbo, I can only imagine having to buy new tires every 6 weeks!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Tires-- Really low aspect # from the looks. They didn't have a detailed sticker on the window but did have a two page handout but the service rep. snagged me before I took one to read.

Reply to
tak

Hmmmm...my 'stock' tC has 215/45-17's. Any lower profile and I might as well ride on train wheels!

There is a 19" option available for the tC.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B