OT: NRA Museum

Anybody here been to the NRA Museum in Fairfax, VA?

What a wonderful place. Wonderful history, wonderful guns. Their presentation is a match for any of the Smithsonian buildings in DC.

You do have to get used to having to consult the numerous and easily usable nearby computers for details on the items in the more complex cases, but this way you get more detail than you would from a placard on the exhibit itself.

You could spend hours there. And there's no charge for parking or admission. I highly recommend it.

Reply to
Tegger

Are you allowed to carry concealed in the museum?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I being an NRA member would love to see that place. Next time we are back East in the D.C. area I will put it on my itinerary.

Reply to
dbu`

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in news:o3Lzi.14616$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny:

Yes, actually.

VA is one of those very many states that has a CCW law.

Reply to
Tegger

dbu` wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.dca.giganews.com:

It's really worth it, believe me.

My wife and daughter are not gunnies, but even they enjoyed the historical aspect of the museum. Great displays.

And best of all, no crowds. It's nothing like, say, the Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum on a Saturday afternoon...

Reply to
Tegger

Hit it on the head, Tegger, that place is great. The Toyota dealer I worked for for years is just around the corner from the NRA headquarters (I grew up in Fairfax). I was always surprised how little advertising that complex got. The only way you would know it is there is by the little blue "NRA Museum" sign at the corner of 50 and Shirley Gate road. There is also an absolutely gorgeous 50 yard range that is open to the public in the basement. I went there with some guys over lunch one time several years back for a .50 cal demo. Shooting that thing was like having someone hit the barrel of the gun with a shovel.

Reply to
qslim

"qslim" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Everybody has fun except me >:(

The existence of that range was certainly not advertised anywhere that I could see. While we were there (three hours) the whole place was as quiet as, well, as a museum.

I've never shot a .50 myself, but the last club I belonged to had a guy who regularly brought up a a WWII tripod-mounted belt-fed Browning .50cal machine gun, and I watched him shoot that.

This being Canada, of course the piece had to be semi-auto only, and so it had been modified. And that Browning jammed about every three to five shots. But when it worked, it was pretty impressive. Other big centerfires would make cartridge cases jump on the bench right next to the firer, but the .50 would make cases jump on a bench in the next RANGE.

Reply to
Tegger

Being a liberal, according to dbu, I'm also a lifetime member of the NRA. CCW is nearly out of the question in California. :-(

Reply to
witfal

Full-auto is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Reply to
witfal

I grew up in Fairfax also. Was that Ourisman Toyota?

Reply to
badgolferman

Wow. After having shot only a handful of rounds from a Browning bolt-action with a 5 round mag, I can't imagine one of those suckers on full auto. Must feel like a jackhammer.

Reply to
qslim

Yeah, as a matter of fact it was. Ever take your car there for service?

Reply to
qslim

witfal wrote in news:fao7cb$sku$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

On our honeymoon in Florida in 1994, we went to an indoor range in Orlando. Lotsa fun toys for rent. I chose an HK MP5. It was very amusing, I must say. A thousand rounds went through in no time.

Reply to
Tegger

Yeah, as a matter of fact it was. Ever take your car there for service?

Reply to
qslim

That's the only full-auto I've shot, equipped with a supressor.

No hearing protection necessary. :-)

Reply to
witfal

No, I didn't have Toyotas back then. I had an old beat up Audi Fox which rode beautifully on the highway, a Honda Civic station wagon, a Mitsubishi Tredia, and other junkards of the time.

Reply to
badgolferman

Nearly? I'd guess that unless you're a city councilman in a rough town, or the sheriff's brother in law, you'd have a very hard time getting a permit. Of course, this doesn't deter the gang bangers.............

Reply to
mack

Boy, talk about a typo. I meant "clearly".

Diane Feinstein has no problem. She can even carry on commercial flights with her air marshall's license.

Reply to
witfal

That's good to know. My next flight back east I hope I'm on the same plane so she can protect me.

Reply to
mack

Funny. The woman gives the appearance of someone who can't walk and chew gum simultaneously. I'd wager the safest place to be when she wields it is directly in front of her.

Yet she can carry a gun. Scary.

Reply to
witfal