OT: Overuse of antibiotics

Something that we have been struggling with for the past 25 years. Everytime someone gets a soar throat, they run to the doctor and get antibiotics ASAP. Goodness forbid we have to have a few days of sore throat or congestion. This is becoming a very serious problem. I work in the medical field and doctors are starting to say no to giving out antibiotics, which is a good thing, unless high fever is present.

I don't even use antibacterial hand soap. I use regular soap.

I guess whatever the case, science will always find away. Either you adapt or life will make you adapt.

Go Mavs

Neither do I.

I think a large part of the problem - the overuse of antibiotics - is that many people don't understand the difference between viral & bacterial infections & that an antibiotic will not zap a virus.

Cathy

Cathy F.

It is a good thing, unless the patient has a bacterial infection, regardless of the temperature. Antibiotics don't do squat for a viral infection.

Another thing that should happen, IMHO, is that anitbiotic usage should not be allowed in animal feed. This also encourages antibiotic resistance.

Unfortunately, in some schools in NYC, they don't even have soap.

Jeff

Jeff

Because you are so cheap that's why you didn't want to spend money on good thing for yourself. Pretty soon your dick will fall apart and you won't want to get it to fix.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Bullshit. Ordinary Ivory bar soap and the friction of hand movement kills more than enough germs. No need to spend more money on antibacterial soap unless you're about to perform surgery.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Absolutely... and one of those problems are doctors who want to appease their patients and give them the quick fix (or the idea of a quick fix).

A good example of over prescription is the situation with peptic ulcers. Some doctors won't test for hpylori and instead will just give the antibiotics to see if it works.

What's easier than handing out a prescription?

Reply to
Go Mavs

Eat your Bullshit all up now before it fills up your brain.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I am wondering if we need to get a medical national database up ASAP. Keep an eye on what doctors are prescribing and how often they are prescribing them. I don't so much care if a doctor is misusing his power and giving out pain pills like candy, but I do care if he is giving out antibiotics like candy because it eventually effects everyone.

I agree about the animal feed.

Reply to
Go Mavs

You are the guy that bought a battery he did not need and then whined about Wal-mart not taking it back.

Regular soap cleans your hands just as well as antibacterial soap and it cost just around the same.

Here Tom,

learn a thing or two.

Reply to
Go Mavs

Let me know Joe if you need help with the eating of your Bullshit. I'm a big eater.

Reply to
Go Mavs

people who clone names are dweebs!

Reply to
Go Mavs

What do you do in the medical field? I ask because I am an RN and Wickeddoll is also either an RN or LVN.

Reply to
Truckdude

I am an RN and Certified Orthopedic Tech. Work on an orthopedic floor. I am in school right now, again. I became a Orthotech before the military, which is fairly easy. Then I became an RN while also a reserve. I would say most of the patients we deal with are there for limb surgeries or amputations because of diabetes.

Reply to
Go Mavs

Prove your point NOW. Who told you it's a good idea to waste money on antibacterial hand soap?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Yep. It's all about a combination of factors, including normal soap sending the pH of your skin surface into a range that bacteria find inhospitable ($5.00 word), along with simple friction.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

And warm to hot water. Not for disinfecting purposes, but to help the soap rinse off more quickly and completely.

Reply to
witfal

To kill most bacteria one needs a temperature of at least 140 degrees. The highest tempeperature at which a person will recoil, when a substance touches their body, is around 120 degrees. If you doubt that, heat something to 130 degrees then try to handle that object. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

That's why he said NOT FOR DISINFECTING PURPOSES, you moron. LOL

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You caught that, eh?

Reply to
witfal

Please, don't call Mike a moron. It is an insult to all the other morons in America. ;-)

Seriously, please don't do name-calling. I can make my own judgment of whether or not Mike is a moron. He makes it so easy.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff