OT: Plan your Black Friday Shopping

All the ads that will appear for The Friday after Thanksgiving...

Reply to
Dan J.S.

What *will* they think of next?!

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

You have to be dumb as a bag of hammers to go shopping on that particular day. Seriously....

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Yet, thousands do. Go figure

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

As some of our mothers used to say, "Just because your friends are jumping off the bridge doesn't mean you have to."

Reply to
Doug Kanter

So by your definition, everyone is dumb because everyone does at least one thing that someone else will call dumb. This may be true!

However, some people have limited budgets and you can get a lot of chinese made shit for cheaper than usual on Black Friday. Do I go? Nope, I order online only.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

My wife dragged me on those escapades a few times. At other times of the year, I pointed out to her that mall-type goods were just as cheap as during the "bargain season". People are more than happy to believe there are discounts when the ads tell them so. This is why Wal Mart is successful. Meanwhile, our local newspaper does a sample grocery shop at WM and area supermarkets. The total bill is *always* cheaper at the supermarkets. Go figure.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I'm with you on this. I break out in hives just at the thought, but, there are quite a few people that not only do go shopping, but also look forward to it. Different strokes . . .

Reply to
thunder

You'd be chuckling if you'd caught the George Carlin special on HBO 2 weeks ago. He had a few things to say about this.....

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Seriously, you can get great deals. I got a Black and Decker drill from Lowes last year that regularly cost $80 for like $15

Reply to
zcarenow

No, they lack lives, the brainless idiots that they are!!

Reply to
Sharx35

And HOW many hours did you spend driving to the mall, looking for parking, walking to the store, finding the tool, lining up to pay for it, and driving home? Frankly, my time is WORTH something to me.

Reply to
Sharx35

'Black & Decker' tools?? I'd say it's probably worth what you paid. Try Makita or DeWalt...you'll see the difference.

Reply to
Don White

Don, Dewalt is a decent tool, but if you are only going to use a power tool a few times, you can get by with a black and decker. For my power sander, I purchased a B&D, just because i liked the price and use it very infrequently. My cordless drills, I have a heavy weight and a light weight cordless drill are both Makita, but the pros considered Makita "homeowners grade".

The cabinet installers who worked on my kitchen and bathrooms all used Hilti and Milwaukee power tools.

Reply to
Sir Rodney Smithers

Black & Decker /IS/ DeWalt, or vice versa (same parent company) - B&D is now their 'Consumer Grade' stuff brand, and DeWalt the slightly better. Usually.

They're ALL racing toward the bottom, between offshore manufacturing and cut-throat price wars, you can't count on being safe just buying a reputable name brand anymore. Even Milwaukee and Ridgid. You have to shop carefully, read the spec sheets, inspect the tool. And don't make a decision based on price alone.

I paid close to $200 on a biscuit joiner from Porter-Cable because it was much more solid than anything else on the market. There was a decent DeWalt for $120, passable Ryobi for $100 and a cobbled-together Harbor Freight knockoff for $40 on sale, but that was about all they were worth.

And then I saw the joke that Black & Decker put out... Frankly, the Harbor Freight looked better. Didn't even look for the price.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

That must be some drill for fifteen bucks.

Reply to
Doug Kanter