{OT} pledge of allegiance

Red Skelton's explanation of the Pledge of Allegiance to the United States of America.

badgolferman

the late red skelton was a noble man, and undoubtedly he believed wholeheartedly that speech- but i think that at some time....before, or since, i am not sure- at least some point before my birth at any rate, the Stars & Stripes, and the United States for which it stands, has lost much meaning. The Allegiance Pledge has come to represent nothing more than a longing to return to the days when those words had MEANING. Most especially I refer to the word "freedom".

If this post to my American cousins sounds like I am "anti-American", it isnt- merely that from such big words that came from a Nation that was indeed at one time, United, a Democracy not just in form but in its very Spirit, has become a fraudulent shell, bereft of meaning- and for this i fear for Democracy everywhere.

Reply to
catchme

What you say has some merit but I contend this has occurred because of the degradation of traditional values of God, family, country, service. All this is a result of the me-first liberalism that took root in the

1960s and has led to the destruction of the patriotism that made this country great. Self-sacrifice and service to others is a footnote in history and Clinton/Obama/McCain will merely perpetuate the continued establishment of the welfare state. Political correctness has overcome the sense of right and wrong.
Reply to
badgolferman

If patriotism means keeping quiet when ghastly mistakes are being made, no thanks.

"Our Country, right or wrong..." Have you not perceived that that phrase is an insult to the nation?

That's from Mark Twain. Apparently, mindless patriotism has been around for quite some time.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Joe, you make an excellent point. When I read it, my memory flashed on the scene in THE PINK PANTHER when Inspector Clouseau is asked to explain why his wife's clothing expenses for the year exceeded his annual income. He says in all his innocent honesty... "She's very good about the household money" Anyone at this late date thinks that whatever goes on in Washington DC is just and right and without fault, and that it's always "My country - right or wrong" is as clueless as the poor Clouseau. And for the sake of our once-proud nation, I hope these ostriches are given the power to smarten up, and quickly. The worst I can imagine for our country is a continuation of the Bush administration as "Bush - lite", under the glazed eyes of John McCain. Enough is enough.

Reply to
mack