{OT} press 2 for english

Let's see...how many unique words exist on signs? Road? Street? Avenue? Exit? Left? Right? Those are easy for a tourist to learn in about 30 seconds. That leaves only the words specific to each sign, like "Papineau" or "Frontenac". So, we end up with "Rue Frontenac" or "Avenue Papineau".

This must've been quite a challenge for golf boy. "Duh....isn't rue a plant that gives some people a rash? Let's try the next exit."

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

English is a requirement for citizenship. You are an excellent citizen, or so you claim, so I'm sure that by now, you have written to your elected barnacles to find out why USCIS isn't doing its job correctly.

You probably typed your letter. Please open your word processor and copy the text of your letter into your next message so we can see how you made your voice heard, you excellent citizen.

Why do you think it was a tangent?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

There appears to be a lot of bad grammar, but all of those people appear to be English speakers.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

You really are fairly stupid, aren't you?

Let's see if we can make it simple enough for you to follow. People came here illegally. They were working. They weren't paying taxes. Reagan gave them amnesty. They got Green Cards or became Citizens. This means they got Social Security Numbers. This means they started paying Taxes. This made them T-A-X-P-A-Y-E-R-S.

There. I even typed it slowly so you could keep up.

Moron.

And I'm not a 'gook'. If you don't know what a Hachiroku is, you are invited to get the f*ck out of the Toyota group, Asshole.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yeah, but most European immigrants either tried to learn English, or made sure their kids did.

Around here, they're teaching the Spanish kids in Spanish so they'll have a better chance. It ain't working.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Those quotes came from one person whose command of the English language is very weak at times. Based on logic and direct personal experience, I can tell you that legal Spanish speaking immigrants learned enough English to fulfill citizenship requirements, but also have a weak command of English. They simply choose to do what's easiest and speak their native language at certain times.

By the way, all the quotes came from George W. Bush. If you have a problem with people whose English isn't what you'd like it to be, then don't be a hypocrite and give such a person a highly visible job in government.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

What ain't working? Be specific.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

What did you agree with? What ain't working?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

In message news:9tp0k.1122$BV.412@trndny05, =?iso-2022- jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= burned some brain cells writing:

What punishment did they get for being illegal? NONE.

What proof do you have that they became citizens? NONE.

If they were ILLEGAL to begin with, what proof do you have that they are now law-abiding? NONE.

Give it up, gook.

Reply to
Klark Kent

You know, Joe seems to keep demonstrating his ignorance several times a day.

When my French, German, etc, ancestors came here, they learned English fairly quickly. We had a landlord at one house that had come over after the mess in 1923. The only time they ever spoke German that we ever heard was when some of the relatives came over from the old country to visit. They used to say, "We are Americans now. We speak only English."

The Hispanics are one of the few groups in the hinterlands, (I can't speak for New Jerk City, of course) that do not speak English deliberately.

Charles the Curmudgeon

Reply to
CharlesTheCurmudgeon

I'll be they didn't. I keep hearing about all these ancestors who came over and learned English quickly, but the fact is that once you're into your twenties, your ability to learn new languages is far more difficult than it is for children.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

OTOH illegal immigrants aren't worthless.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

In reality it was widely reported that crime in Florida rose greatly after the boat lift because Fidel Castro had released so many criminals and let them emigrate.

Reply to
Johnny Hageyama

An aunt of mine could read and write English but not speak it very well, so when she went to take her driver's test, she was given the Spanish version. She didn't know any Spanish, only English and Japanese, but passed anyway.

Reply to
Johnny Hageyama

That's true. They have a negative worth. They suck medical resources and don't pay taxes.

Bill Putney

Was that in Mass? And why did they give her a Spanish test?

Reply to
Hachiroku

That's what AMNESTY means, Meathead.

Because the one's that didn't sign up were given vacations at Ft Dix and Lompoc.

Maybe they're not 'law-abiding', but they have legal status to be in the US, and Social Security numbers, so they pay taxes.

Man, you're an idiot.

Gook is an offensive term. Maybe what happened to Lloyd Bridges might happen to you.

I'm not a 'gook', moron. I'm a European-descended American. Google 'Hachiroku' so you won't look like a fool.

Ooops!!! Too late!

Reply to
Hachiroku

When my Gradfather spoke German, you knew it was time to hide...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Being taught in Spanish is not helping their lot around here. They still live in poverty and collect Welfare. So, all those years of schooling did nothing, since they didn't learn English.

Reply to
Hachiroku

You've tried speaking with all these kids, I assume.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom