OT: Question for Mike Hunter

Hey Mike. You're smart. You know everything. Watch the video at the link below. Try and focus only on the video of your president, NOT on the obviously biased announcer. You tell me what's wrong with Bush. You cannot deny that somethings seriously wrong. What's your diagnosis?

JoeSpareBedroom

mack

Does anyone else think it looks as though he may've been reading straight from a teleprompter in the first instance? His eyes seem very focused on one area.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I thought you libs said GWB (the Yale and Harvard grad) couldn't read....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

To be precise & literal, I don't think I ever said that. (Maybe someone else has? Not sure.)

OTOH, GWB is completely capable of mangling the English language, & I know I've said words to that effect. In the second part of that video, he's apparently speaking sans reading verbatim, & well...

And... occasionally I have come across a child who is a fluent oral reader - reads aloud beautifully, w/great expression, and yet has virtually no comprehension skills.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

If you believe someone said that, go to google, search for proof, and post it here. Good luck. Nobody ever said it.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I don't know that anyone's seriously accused him of being unable to read, however he's often thought to be unwilling to read - to study a problem and do some research. He joked about this once and he's apparently working on the public perception of him as someone who isn't particularly literate by embarking on a program of reading. I saw a reference to this recently at a press converence (as a sort of contest with Rove) and he recently announced that he was reading - perhaps had finished Camus' "The Stranger." Bra-vo.

Reply to
dh

During his first presidential campaign, he was asked about his reading habits. He told the reporter "Mostly newspapers". Not good.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I'd be delighted if I thought he read the papers but I think it was just the sports page he was referring to.

As President, of course, he gets information from the CIA and other agencies. However, there have been rumors that he doesn't read much of that and there's a world of difference between what your staff wants you to read and what the NYT/LAT/CT/WSJ/WaPo and other papers (or news sources - the BBC, Al-Jazeera, MSNBC, Faux News) thnk is "news" and it is probably very healthy for the President to use a broad variety of sources.

As in, he may find himself saying to the staff, "Hey! How come I haven't heard anything about xyz in the PDB?"

Reply to
DH

Do you read the daily funnies in the paper? Particularly For Better Or Worse? The woman's father has had a stroke, and while he is making progress, he can't talk. The Doctor told him that he's progressing well, but that his brain and his mouth are disconnected. The old guy thinks to himself, "My brain and mouth are disconnected? I could be a POLITICIAN!"

Reply to
Hachiroku

Or if that doesn't work, this:
& then "