OT Should fireplace fires be banned?

More KOOK stuff.

Sometimes slow to load, keep trying it's worth the read.

Tiny:

dbu.

The lefties will probably find a way to tax it, then it will be OK again.

I love burning exotic tropical forest hardwoods in my fireplace.

Reply to
news-server.wi.rr.com

I think you hit the nail on the head. The key is taxation and as you say, then it will be acceptable just like so many other things that have been demonized by the democrats and their lefty kook base.

Reply to
dbu.

No surprise. We know who wants to micro-manage your life.

Reply to
witfal

What if a scientist you trusted provided proof that fireplaces caused enough of a mess to be a real concern in your city, and the city made a law based on that information? Would that be micromanaging?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

That isn't going to happen.

But let's run with your ball. How about addressing the concern of air pollution from idling vehicles?

In most California municipalities, traffic signals are triggered by magnetic loops, particularly during rush hour traffic (pretty much all the time now). These signals are not synchronized, even on the same long drags of straight roads. Before and after these two hour periods, morning and evening, the signals are put on timers. I think it's safe to assume that it takes less electricity to run the timer as opposed to the loops.

The result is the literally hundreds of cars idling at traffic signals, stopping and going for no reason at all, with no cross-traffic. All to save a small amount of money. Cars spewing fumes, diesels their soot, and gas prices and shortages at an all time high.

Some cities have taken to actually synchronizing their signals, with commute times being subsequently reduced. People are happier. What a concept.

So, to finally answer your question, if a city or county wants to regulate my fireplace, let them do their jobs first. I say these idiots in SF should be hauled into court by their constituents to force them into doing first the things that should be done.

Reply to
witfal

As with all political decisions, the best methods involve embarrassment, humiliation, and fear of physical harm. I wonder if anyone could get

4000-5000 people to show up at a city council meeting to bitch and complain. Even better if they were carrying torches and buckets of tar.
Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

"A little revolution now and then is a good thing; the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - T Jefferson (1787)

Reply to
witfal

I'll let you know how my one man crusade goes with our town next month. There's a really lame development project afoot, and I intend to ask the supervisor and board members "Who is enriching you personally, in return for liking this project?" Fun.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Note the parallel between your analogy of political decisions and the generally accepted factors in confronting addiction. And we *are* addicted to oil, aren't we?

Reply to
F.H.

There's that "should" word again. ;)

Reply to