OT: The fix is in again on gas prices

Well, despite the fact that oil prices have not risen drastically in the past two months, gas prices have gone up nearly 50 cents a gallon in the Chicago area. That's an increase of nearly 25 percent. Don't tell me there's not something going on here. Exxon/Mobil, the major existing component of the old Standard Oil Trust has hit 253.9.

Johnny Rockefeller must be laughing his arse off down in Hell.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

Excellent! I own around 100 shares of the company. (I don't know the exact value because a lot of the shares are in mutual funds.)

One reason why prices are up is that refineries have to make a different grade of gasoline in the summer:

Prices are also going up for crude oil:
Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

In message news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, n5hsr sprach forth the following:

And XOM stock is DOWN about 10% over the last two weeks.

Moron.

Reply to
Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute

In normal use I use < 3/4 of a gallon per day or between 8 to 9 gallons in

12 to 13 days. Do you use a lot of fuel where this 50 cents is going to bother you?
Reply to
mark digital©

In message news:b3jGh.402$3i.79@trnddc01, Jeff sprach forth the following:

Who is ExxonMobile?

Reply to
Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute

There are a lot of low- and middle-income people who are just making ends meet. If someone use 1 gallon per day, that is an extra $180 on their budget. Not to mention that the increased gas price tends to drive the price of other goods and services up.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

In message news:l5kGh.409$3i.397@trnddc01, Jeff sprach forth the following:

So I assume you've lobbied your Congress and your state legislature to lower gasoline taxes.

After all GOVERNMENT TAXES account for MORE of the cost of a gallon of gas than the profit of the gas company and the gas station.

If you're NOT in favor of lowering taxes, shut the f*ck up and stop pretending that you care about the poor.

Reply to
Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute

If someone is single their standard deduction is $5,150 plus a personal exemption of $3,300. If someone is married filing jointly their standard deduction is $10,300 plus and exemption of $6,600 for both. Sounds to me the complaints are from those who are living beyond their means. You know, using more than what they can afford. Set priorities.

Reply to
mark digital©

I drive 14 miles on alternate days and 7 miles on the off days. I used to have to drive 90 miles a day, and 2 years ago, I was driving 180 miles a day. But it still hurts when it used to cost 10 bucks to fill up Old Blue when I first bought her and now it costs 25 bucks to fill her up.

Don't tell me to use public transport. For what I do, public transport doesn't exist.

The oil companies wanted $2. gas for years and couldn't get it. Now they've got it and are gunning for $3. a gallon in summer.

And ADM is also getting rich selling all the alcohol it can make to make gasahol.

Charles of Schaumburg.

Reply to
n5hsr

Well, stop using gasoline.

Then get a Honda Civic hybrid, Toyota Prius, Escape hybriud or a VW turbodiesel.

And write Mr. Bush, the environmental President, your Senators and Representatives, asking them to end subsidies for ethanol production.

If you look at the price of gasoline, adjusted for inflation, the price of gasoline is not that out of line. IT is just that for a long period in the

90s, it did nto go up that fast. I remember paying around $0.9 for gasoline in central and south central Michigan (Ingham and Jackson counties). In 2006 dollars, the price of gas has mostly been between $2 and $3.
Jeff
Reply to
Jeff

Complaining solves nothing. May I suggest work three jobs? I did when it was necessary. Have to do something to keep the standard of living I and my family were accustomed to. Griping never paid the bills.

Reply to
mark digital©

What are you doing? Playing both sides against the middle? First you tell me people are hurting and now you tell Charles he shouldn't be hurting because the price adjusted for inflation isn't that bad. Make up your mind.

Reply to
mark digital©

Some of us can't work 3 jobs. One job has us 24/7, and we're already on salary, so the more we work the less we make per hour.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

Apply for assistance?

Reply to
mark digital©

Sorry, don't qualify for assistance, either. I'm too 'rich' to qualify. They don't take my medical bills into account.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

He's a LIEberal. Algore is his Hero and Hillary is his God.

I'm writing him off.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

Like Social Security.....

The shot down a great fix that GWB had.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Man, you *are* scraping bottom. Sorry.

Reply to
mark digital©

become an illegal alien....it is all free from then on....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

But I would have to get a new birth certificate and passport. My birth certificate says I was born in Chicago and signed by the Illinois Department of Public Health.

My ancestors haven't been aliens since 1872. Space cadetts, maybe.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr