(OT) "Time to compromise on gun control"...

(warning - protect your eyes before looking at the picture at the bottom of that article)

"...When I got to the table, I was told that the political science professor said I am 'unqualified' to discuss the issue because I am a 'right wing nut job.' I ask if it was true that he said that about me. The professor admitted the quote was accurate.

"Next, I calmly let him know that 60% of the refereed studies indicate that CCW laws reduce homicide rates while 40% show they have no effect. And none provide evidence that they actually increase homicide rates. I owe the professor an apology because I actually misquoted the number of studies indicating CCW laws reduce homicide rates. The number is actually 15, not nine as I had claimed. Thus, he was right to predict I would present a biased argument. But it was biased in his favor.

"After he admitted he had read none of the literature on the topic, I made two requests: First, I asked that he familiarize himself with the literature so he can offer 'qualified' commentary. Second, I asked that he stop yelling and hurling epithets at the students.

"Surprisingly, the professor responded well to the rebuke. He apologized to me and then he apologized to the students. Then, with the professor under control, the students were able to resume with an informed debate on an important topic. I went back to my office and read the Book of Joshua.

"As I was reading the Bible in my office, I reflected on all the childish name-calling by the professor. It was then I realized that a partial gun ban is necessary. Specifically, I concluded that liberals cannot be allowed to own guns, much less carry them on our college campuses. If they cannot control their emotions enough to engage in rational debate, they cannot be expected to handle a firearm responsibly. Handguns were not made for people with shaking hands and raised voices. They were made for those with self-control.

"Maybe some will object to the notion that a constitutional right can only belong to one segment of the population. Or maybe their objections will be drowned out by campus feminists shouting 'my body, my choice.'"

Bill Putney

A clear head and steady hand constitute all the gun control needed. Sounds like the good professor wouldn't qualify.

Other than a coyote or two or varmints, none of my guns have hurt anything but rocks or paper (well also a few cans).

Ron in Ca

Reply to
ron