OT: UK couple faces smoking probe

It's about time the Brits clean up their spaces. Another dirty liberal habit bites the dust.

UK COUPLE FACE SMOKING PROBE IN OWN HOME Mon Jan 08 2007 18:41:00 ET

An English couple are facing a council investigation into their smoking habits at home, it was reported Tuesday.

Jeanette Gordon-Crawley, 54, and her husband Gavin, 51, from Caernarfon, north Wales, have been told by their local council that their next-door neighbour has complained that she can smell cigarette smoke from their house in her living room.

Moira Duell, an environmental health officer with Gwynedd County Council, sent them a letter headed: "Alleged Odour Nuisance", the Sun said.

In the letter she said: "Your neighbour alleges that cigarette smoke is permeating into her living room from your property.

"To enable further investigation into the matter I would like to visit your property to discuss the matter further."

Reply to
dbu,

There was a similar thing a few years ago here in America. The lady next door was complaining of the same thing and their houses were something like fifty yards apart. This is just another case of someone finding a way to get back at their neighbor for some problem between them.

Reply to
badgolferman

Personally, I'd hate to have the smell of someone else's cigarette smoke seeping through thre connecting wall into my house. Blech. It stinks. OTOH, a person has the right to smoke in their own home. A tough one.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Guess the neighbor needs to find a new place to live.

Reply to
Hachiroku

OTOH, a freedom is a freedom, unless it impinges on another's freedom. A bit sticky.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

IF they actually OWN that home. The law up here states that the OWNER of an apartment building can declare the ENTIRE building a no smoking area. Ditto for a condo association.

Reply to
sharx35

It gets to be a sticky problem in condos and townhomes where there is much common property.

Reply to
dbu,

In the UK, one of the basic rights of common law (so I imagine the US has it also) is to "the peaceful enjoyment of one's home". If a smoker _is_ somehow interfering with neighbours and this is proved, they can expect to be required to modify their behaviour. Put it in terms of, say, a smoky bonfire, a barking dog, booming music late at night and similar "nuisances".

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

But what if that's the way *THEY* enjoy their home? ;)

I have cars and parts all over the place...well, I did. I got rid of two of the cars and sold or used the parts, so it's much better now.

Good thing my neighbors don't mind my 'hobby' since at one time I had three unregistered vehicles here, and the town only allows two. They don't bother you unless either you make it obvious or someone complains. I finally got to clearing the garage when I got the Supra and parked that, one is hidden from view (we have a garage and apron under the rear of the house, big enough for three cars) and the van was parked at the end of the rear driveway. So only the 'Hachiroku' has it's @ss hanging out there now...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Can you own and keep personal firearms over there? How about the crooks?

Reply to
dbu,

AFAIK, yes, subject to certain conditions like licensing, storing them in secure places and regular inspections. There was a spate of "massacres" (a concept with which the US is painfully familiar IIRC) that produced a backlash against the gun lobby, years ago.

Why ever would I want to keep a crook? I let the *.gov.uk handle that chore for me.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson