OT: Under New Management

Hey, you never know!

Reply to
Hachiroku

We may not agree on a lot very often, but I think it's a darn good thing there was a hand of Moderation there!

LOL! Can you imagine GW having one of his frequent slips of the tongue, and then having THAT go through a translator?!?!?!

I'm building the bomb shelter as we speak!!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Remember how he cried at the gubernatorial retirement ceremony for his son Jeb?

He was crying because the smart and normal Jeb, not the alcoholic and idiotic Dubya, was supposed to be the Bush family's presidential candidate.

GW Bush hates his father, feels inferior to him, and wants to better him, especially when it comes to machismo (Daddy Bush never swaggered

-- real war heroes never do). Apparently they talk about personal matters at least every week, but GW Bush has never listened to his father on policy matters. So to communicate to his son on the latter, President George Bush frequently uses surrogates who state his opinions in public, such as the Wall Street Journal, often through his best friend and former foreign policy advisor, Gen. Brent Scowcroft, but sometimes even through Henry Kissinger. For example, before the Iraq war Scowcroft wrote that the US should finish the Afghanistan war before moving into Iraq, and Kissinger said the same in interviews. More recently, Bush tried to influence his son through the Iraq Study Group, headed by Bush confidant and former chief of staff and Secretary of State, James Baker. The recommendations of the ISG are essentially Bush's recommendations to his son.

Wow, Putin was really diplomatic.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

You probably don't even know why Putin decided to learn English.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Do you actually believe that this meeting is taking place at President George Bush's place in Maine rather than at GW Bush's place in Texas only to let Putin avoid the Texas summer heat? You don't understand diplomacy, both that between the US and Russia and between GW Bush and his father.

If President George Bush hadn't stopped the war when he had, he would have comitted as big a folly as his son has in Iraq. But President George Bush knew history and therefore realized that it would be folly for any Western power to invade and occupy the heart of Islam. Yet even without occupatiing Iraq, he defeated Saddam and kept him harmlessly penned up for over a decade and prevented him from comitting any more acts of international terror or building WMDs. That postwar effort was effective, lost no American lives, and cost about as much three months of the Iraq war now costs.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

"And if I was the President, and the Congress call my name, I'd say 'Who do, who do you think you're fooling? I've got the Presidential Seal, I'm on the Presidential Podium...' " Was listening to "Loves Me Like a Rock" the other day & thought of how that line is presently apropos, re: "The Commander Guy.

Apparently they talk about personal

Yeah, this I realized. But fell on deaf ears/closed mind.

;-)

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Um, howcome when I saw him on the Evening News he was speaking through an interpreter?!

Back in the late 80's/early 90's, one of those Russian behemouths of an airplane came into Bradley field and was parked there for a couple days. One of the items it brought in it's cargo hold was a little Russian girl that needed a complicated surgery and was going to Newington Children's Hospital.

A friend of mine who used to work on BUFF's (B-52's) and I went there one afternoon before work (we were working at an aircraft accessories MFGR near the airport.) They were giving out pictures of the plane signed by the pilot.

While the pilot was signing his picture (he was in line in front of me), he started asking the pilot a few questions. The pilot looked puzzled and shrugged his shoulders, and a cute but very 'official' looking woman in a black uniform/suit (wonder what branch of the Gov't *she* worked for?) leaned over to us and said, "He does not speak any English."

What's wrong with this picture?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

*ALL* pilots speak English! If an Iranian is a member of Al Qaeda, and is an airline pilot landing his plane in Tehran, then he is talking to the tower in English! English is the worldwide official language for ALL communications for commercial and military aircraft.
Reply to
Hachiroku

You are so full of bullshit. It must be coming out of your big ears. You are a laughable creature.

Reply to
dbu,.

Try seeing it from the Russian perspective: They've not only lost Eastern Europe, but virtually every former Warsaw Pact nation and the Baltic nations has become a member of NATO, NATO has conducted exercises in Ukraine, the US has a military base in on of the primarily Muslim former Soviet repubics, and the US withdrew from the ABM treaty. To the Russians, all that adds up to encroachment and humiliation.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Exactly how did NPR demonstrate sloppy journalism or bias in that report, and how did NPR's coverage of this event differ from the Wall Street Journal's?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Gen. Norman Schwartzkopf, even after he retired and was free to say anything, said that President George Bush's order to not invade Iraq was the correct one.

He cared about the consequences of occupying a big part of the Middle East and, like Winston Churchill but unlike GW Bush and Neville Chamberlain, knew his world history.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Silly me. I thought he didn't sign it because it was negotiated 5 years after he left office.

Thanks for the conservative, revisionist history lesson.

Reply to
dh

I think this is true of all disciplines where you find people who are excellent at their craft, whatever it may be. I see this sort of humility mostly in great musicians because that's who I'm expose to most often. But also, in a plumber I used a couple of months ago, who, when complimented on his exquisite workmanship, just shrugged it off and said "yeah whatever...it's just pipes".

Not GWB, though. "Bring 'em on!" Life is a video game, and he is Duke Nukem.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

{raising hand} I can answer this! By posting the picture of papa Bush in the boat, NPR emboldened insurgents in Iraq.

What do I win? Can I get my republican decoder ring now?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Because he's the leader of a country and he can speak in whatever language he wants, without having to explain it to anybody. At least he *has* someone capable of interpreting what he says. For GWB, no such person exists. Who could interpret some of what he says?

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."-Greater Nashua, N.H., Chamber of Commerce, Jan. 27, 2000

Nothing, actually. Think about it and let us know if you come up with the answer by the end of the day.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The original conference in South America was held in his last year of office, and he refused to attend. He took a lot of heat for that.

But he saw then the implications of agreeing to such a 'deal'.

Reply to
Hachiroku