OT-Update on Comcast

I posted earlier that I had lost my Comcast access to Usenet. After being frustrated by everyone at Comcast's lack of knowledge regarding newsgroups, I was referred to Giganews for help. Giganews got right back to me but told me that it was Comcast's problem. I concluded that there is no way to get this fixed so I was going to write a letter to Comcast's customer service just to make myself feel better. Anyhow, I decided to give it one more try and what do you know, it's now working. So it was down for five days; no one at Comcast even knows what it is; and now it's working again. What the heck. Sure like my newsgroup reader (Unison) better than Google groups! jor

Reply to
jor

There are free text-only newsservers you can use instead of Comcast's. Don't be dependent on only one source.

Reply to
badgolferman

"jor" ...

*snip*

Hot steel pokers up your butt is better than Google groups.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

I would rather use Google Groups.

Reply to
badgolferman

I probably would too, but I'd have to think about it.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Teranews, it always works for me....when comcast don't.

Reply to
dbu

Weren't we talking about sticking things up.... Oh, never mind.

Reply to
badgolferman

Yea, I was just about to use teranews (pay the 3 or 4 dollar sign up) when it started working again. The whole experience has been interesting. I guess large ISPs just have not interest in supporting this ancient Internet protocol. I figure my work ticket finally escalated to some guy that actually knows where the server is and he plugged it back in. He doesn't have to talk with customers nor does he have to report back so no one ever knows what happened. jor

Reply to
jor

I don't know...Outlook Express works just fine.

Reply to
Just Me

I said newsSERVERS, not newsREADERS. There is a difference.

Reply to
badgolferman

Outlook Express is a mail/news reader, not the server(s) which gets & sends the e-mails & Usenet/ng posts to & from your computer. I use OE, with my ISP's server for e-mail & Giganews as my news (Usenet) server.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.