OT Well, I guess this is fair

We have a hiring freeze at work, and a number of people have left since the freeze.

THere is a salesperson that desparately needs an assistant. Since it is somewhat close to what I do now, I offered to take on that position as well as my own...for $4 an hour more, of course! THis would make me the highest paid hourly worker in the company.

However, it was turned down. It's not fair. The other people in the same job make what I make now. Maximum. So, to pay me $4 an hour more isn't fair to the rest of the people in that position.

"But, I'll be doing the same job I am now, AND doing the other position as well!!"

"Well, it's not fair to the others!"

So I turned it down. The whole idea was to make a few extra bucks, while saving the company 3/4 of the usual salary, as well as benefits, etc.

But, it's not fair.

Is this like no-outcome based education? Like baseball or basketball games where no one keeps score? Those aren't Fair either, remember?

I love Liberalism.

Reply to
hachiroku

First thing that came to mind is you wouldn't look good in a skirt.

Reply to
mark_digital

Fair has nothing to do with it, management has the right to schedule work and working hours. How can one do a job properly yet take on the work of another job? Seems if you have time to do additional work you are not giving your employer the eight hours of work for which you are paid. If you worked in a union shop, management would have to reclassify the qualifications to for the new job, set a pay rate according to the skills required for that new job, before they can eliminate one of the jobs. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Very simple: the two jobs are so closely related it would be very easy to incorporate the two, and I would be working 25 feet from where I am now. One is data entry and software verification (working the bugs out of the home-brew software) And the other is dealing with customers on the phone. I can walk and chew gum at the same time, and I have a twinhead type video card, so I can run two monitors.

And, I pack 9 hours into an 8 hour day. It really wouldn't be difficult.

It's just not fair.

Reply to
Hachiroku

You mean not fair to your employer? Can you pack the sixteen hours of productivity, that both of the jobs management was paying for, into an eight hour day? If you can you and the other worker must not have been doing your jobs. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Mike, you're thinking too much like a blue collar factory worker. There's no limit on how much you can pile on a service worker. They're known to take on more than they can chew and not finish what they volunteered for. It's called job security. That $4 offer to his boss was just bait and it sounds like the boss ain't gonna bite.

mark_

Reply to
mark_digital

LOL! Bait? I ain't 'trolling' here!

I used to do Customer Service in a lot of jobs. I can handle Irate customers, dumb customers, etc in a heartbeat.

Getting in over my head; that was a consideration on my part. But we have a 'temporary guest worker', a kid from France, doing what I would ordinarily do, so for the next 4 months there is plenty of time to give it a whirl. If my head expoldes, well, I go back where I was.

But I don't think thqat would happen.

Unless Mike Hunter is a customer...

Reply to
Hachiroku

the girl that had the job I was vying for before she laft was writing a book...

Reply to
Hachiroku

[snip]

Just be glad your employer isn't *requiring* you to do both jobs, for NO additional pay! ;-)

noneyabusiness

I have to answer the phones in Reception, since the receptionist quit and there is a hiring freeze. The problem with this is, instead of being on the same floor where I do my regular work, I'm two floors down. Consequently, what I am SUPPOSED to do doesn't get done!

At least with the other job, I would be in the same area I am now, and could interleave the two positions.

Reply to
Hachiroku