OT What's All The Fuss?

by of Doug Patton, a freelance columnist and political speech writer

WHAT'S ALL THE FUSS?

"Are we fighting a war on terror or aren't we? Was it or was it not started by Islamic people who brought it to our shores on September

11, 2001? Were people from all over the world, mostly Americans, not brutally murdered that day, in downtown Manhattan, across the Potomac from our nation's capitol and in a field in Pennsylvania? Did nearly three thousand men, women and children die a horrible, burning or crushing death that day, or didn't they?

And I'm supposed to care that a copy of the Koran was "desecrated" when an overworked American soldier kicked it or got it wet? Well, I don't. I don't care at all!

I'll start caring when Osama bin Laden turns himself in and repents for incinerating all those innocent people on 9/11.

I'll care about the Koran when the fanatics in the Middle East start caring about the Holy Bible, the mere possession of which is a crime in Saudi Arabia.

I'll care when Abu Musab al-Zarqawi tells the world he is sorry for hacking off Nick Berg's head while Berg screamed through his gurgling, slashed throat.

I'll care when the cowardly so-called "insurgents" in Iraq come out and fight like men instead of disrespecting their own religion by hiding in mosques.

I'll care when the mindless zealots who blow themselves up in search of nirvana care about the innocent children within range of their suicide bombs.

I'll care when the American media stops pretending that their First Amendment liberties are somehow derived from international law instead of the United States Constitution's Bill of Rights.

I'll care when Clinton-appointed judges stop ordering my government to release photos of the abuses at Abu Ghraib, which are sure to set off the Islamic extremists just as Newsweek's lies did a few weeks ago.

In the meantime, when I hear a story about a brave marine roughing up an Iraqi terrorist to obtain information, know this: I don't care.

When I see a fuzzy photo of a pile of naked Iraqi prisoners who have been humiliated in what amounts to a college hazing incident, rest assured that I don't care.

When I see a wounded terrorist get shot in the head when he is told not to move because he might be booby-trapped, you can take it to the bank that I don't care.

When I hear that a prisoner, who was issued a Koran and a prayer mat, and fed "special" food that is paid for by my tax dollars, is complaining that his holy book is being "mishandled," you can absolutely believe in your heart of hearts that I don't care.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Do you agree w/his views?

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Absolutely!

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Absolutely.

You can bet, for the most part, that our POWs are much better cared for than any American that was taken prisoner by the Islamic fundamentalists.

Did't you hear what that girl from Boston had to say once she got home.

I heard an American woman on the BBC say a few years ago that we should extend a hand of peace to our Islamic Brothers. Doesn't she know that because of her decadent lifestyle (she IS an American, after all...) they would just as soon rip her heart out of her than shake her hand?

I know these people. The Liberals are OK. The moderates are somewhat OK. The Conservative Muslims...DON'T turn your back on them! You are an Infidel!

And Cathy, believe me...I can get away with it. YOU had better buy a Burka... (Oh, and don't speak your mind. At all. You MIGHT get to live...)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

If we had tortured POWs during WWII, very likely the postwar peace with Germany and Japan would have been harder to achieve and not as long-lasting. Humane treatment turned out to be a very good tool propaganda tool and probably brainwashed POWs better than any beatings would have. We achieved permanent peace with the former Axis nations because we weren't like them.

Reply to
Johnny Hageyama

Yup. But they aren't Muslims.

Muslims are an entirely different breed. After they clear the world of Infidels (Americans, then the British, then the French, the Germans, the Dutch, the Canadians, the Russians, etc) the tribes will turn on themselves. First the more liberal tribes will be attacked by the Moderates and the Radicals. Then the Moderates will be attacked by the Radicals, then the Radicals will turn and fight amonst themselves as to who is the best in the Eyes of Allah. It will end with one tribe, living in an area of the Middle East...

Where some say the Garden of Eden was.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Muslims are not a "breed."

Reply to
dh

Yes they are.

Reply to
dbu,

Absolutely amazing. You skipped over the whole dissertation to focus on a colloquialism.

Amazing...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Yeah. Amaziing that the rest of it was wrong, too. The tendency of religions and religious conflict is to splinter infinitely. There will never be one tribe.

Reply to
dh

Really? Point out where I was wrong, please.

Don't know much about Muslims, eh?

That's ok, most people don't. You're not alone. In the end, the radical factions will begin fighting amongst themselves. Let's rephrase that: in the end, it will Ideally be one tribe left.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

  1. They're not a breed. Culture makes a huge difference in how Islam develops. Much of what we think of as "Islam" in the context of the Mideast is culture, not religion. Unfortunately, they can't tell the difference, either.
  2. See original response below - but I'll gladly emphasize it because I think it's important, not to bust your chops, Hachi, but to emphasize it. There will never be one tribe. The tendency of religions is to splinter indefinitely and infinitely. Long before they reach the "one tribe" state you suggest, they'll splinter - and splinter again. Look at the history of Christianity. The Episcopaleans are going through a convulsion today. The Muslims had their first major schism in the first generation after Mohammed.

A tangent: An understanding of this will help you understand why I think strict separation of church and state is so very important. The dominant religions of today will not be the dominant religions of tomorrow. It may still be called Christianity in this country but you probably will not recognize all the doctrines and you won't agree with some.

Even if you agree with and are in line with what is currently the dominant and most politically potent strain of religion here, you can't be sure that's what will survive to tomorrow. A tradition - a strong legal basis for strict - and I mean *strict* separation protects the beliefs you pass along to your children; it protects your belief, long-term, from the vagaries of politics and the tyranny of the mob.

Actually, I do. I used to live among them and I count some among my friends, here.

Reply to
dh