(OT) Who would you rather have a beer with?

Remember the cliché that the presidential race is really about which candidate the American people would like to have a beer with? Well setting aside the issue that Romney doesn't drink beer, who would want to drink a beer with someone that lays off your father, has his vast fortune in the Cayman's or in Switzerland, wants to take away your Medicare, start another war in the middle east, ship your job to India or China, and lies about all of it?

Mitt Romney's constituency should be at 1-2%, not at 45-48%. He's not a right wing lunatic tea-partier, he's not Christian, he's not a religious fanatic, he's a very rich, pro-choice, moderate Republican that believes that the wealthy should be even wealthier, and the middle class and the poor should be poorer. He has no empathy for those Americans not as well off as his family.

The fact that his ratings are as high as they are is a miracle. The fact that he won the nomination is a testament to the crazy primary system; one that the few remaining normal Republicans that are qualified for the job can't or won't endure. Of course Romney won the nomination against Herman Cain, Michelle Bachmann, Newt Gingrich, Rick Perry, and Rick Santorum--could you put together a group of nutcases any worse than that if you tried? Well yes, you threw Sarah Palin in the mix. So no Republican should complain that Romney is a weak candidate, he's the strongest candidate of a sorry lot.

There's a good quote I found, ?The danger to America is not Mitt Romney, but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency. It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of an Romney presidency than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their president."

Paul Ryan summed it up well when he spoke about how the campaign is going for the Republican ticket when he stated, ?I have never seen this kind of enthusiasm.?

Reply to
sms88

I wouldn't want to have a beer with someone who is a teetotaler, a puritan no less. I'd have to hold my nose..LOL.

I think Gingrich would have been a better match to the obama, he had some personal faults like bubba, voters kinda like that, sort of free spirit sort of guy, a human, a human vulnerable to human faults and stupid, but relatively minor human mistakes, like screwing around in a cloak room with a subordinate or sneaking around with another gal, etc, etc. Makes for good coffee house talk and jokes.

Gingrich has the fire and smarts, plus he can take a punch and punch back, Romny just doesn't engender enthusiasm, but that's just me, I'm not enthused and surely not enthused about another 4 years with the obama, but oh well and no, I don't want to bring back RR. He was a good one, but he's long gone. We need a new innovator with some fire. Unfortunately we won't have another chance for at least 4 years.

Reply to
dbu

The very first premise sets aside the fact that Romney does not drink beer.

The topic isn't about drinking beer with ANYBODY, it's about the values two people espouse, and which of those sets of values do you most closely identify with.

I would have my cold one with Romney any day of the week if the other option was to have a pint with Obama.

I firmly believe in teaching a man to fish, then removing the regulations that keep him from going to the water. This is the guy I'm having over to my house for beer and BBQ.

Obama believes that you should stand in line everyday to have a fish handed out to you, then he sets up rules that keep you away from the shore so your line can't even get to the water (much less far enough into the lake to reach the fish). Not only should you not catch your own fish, he thinks that you deserve a fish because somebody else caught it.

If Obama comes to my house and sees that I have a pool, he'll make me invite the neighbors for swim and demand that I serve beer and BBQ because I've got it and they don't.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Funny but I don't see it that way. Obama initially speaking to the inner city said in so many words that you have to work and earn to make it in the world. Sorry, but I cannot quote his exact words, but I do remember the time and the context of his words. That was early on in his administration.

I think you are succumbing to media hype, primarily Fox and Drudge, I read them both. It was prevalent during GWB administration, primarily MSNBC, CNN, ABC, CBS and a whole host of surrogats (I watch and read those too) and it's carrying forward to this, administration. It's really sickening how politics has deteriorated to such a low level. That said, I don't believe in all the social elitist crap that comes with dims in general today. Makes me want to toss up my green salad and humus. I guess that is what it is, freedom to have a beer or whatever. My father would probably vote Dim today if he were still alive, then have his two cans of Pabst Blue Ribbon beer before supper and then a call to the local Teamsters union hall for a chat.

Frankly, I'm not concerned about who's in power as far as taxes are concerned, taxes will go up regardless and in a many a subtle way. The individual states will raise your taxes more or less. If I were living in California for example, I'd be far more concerned about future taxes than where I live. The federal tax will be inconsequential as far as the big picture is concerned. It's about states rights and their right to collect taxes from you, right? Right!

Reply to
dbu

Then you're inviting Obama over. Obama wants to teach you to fish and help you get a loan to buy your equipment. Romney wants to ship all the fishing jobs to China.

Reply to
sms88

Hummmm.. Funny how I also read that same quote a day or two ago from Germany.. But they were talking about the gifted one, not Romney.. :|

Reply to
NM5K