OT: WTF? The Taliban is still around??

Check out these recent news reports:

How can a country with the largest (by far) and most technologically advanced military in the world not achieve complete victory in a dirt-poor, backwards-ass hick country like Afghanistan after five years?

The Taliban cannot stand against the US/coalition forces in conventional warfare, but the coalition forces cannot eradicate the Taliban nor stop their guerrilla attacks on the coalition forces.

To your knowledge, has any superpower ever defeated a country, no matter how small and militarily insignificant, when that country employed the use of guerrilla tactics? Not to mine, but I'd like to know if it's ever happened.

Guerrilla fighters are regular people most of the time, who occasionally sneak out, launch a couple hundred dollars' worth of mortar rounds at US military bases costing the US a couple million dollars in damaged supplies and equipment and possibly maiming or killing some troops, then sneak back home; or they wait until troops are passing by, pick up a grenade launcher and start killing them, etc. Sometimes you can catch them in the act and kill them, but not nearly often enough. They blend in to the general public.

Russia couldn't win in Afghanistan after ten years of trying, and the US couldn't win in Vietnam. There is a way to win a war against guerrilla fighters, but it means killing everyone in that country old enough to carry a bomb so you make sure you kill all the guerrilla fighters, but of course you'd be killing all the innocent people as well. Maybe some countries are capable of that, but I think the US would consider that too high a cost, at least in terms of PR.

Same thing in Iraq, but replace al Qaeda/insurgents with the Taliban.

I am only seeing two options for the US at this point: Continue fighting and expending national resources at an unprecedented rate until our economy collapses, or withdraw from Iraq and Afghanistan and let the Taliban and/or al Qaeda take over (or at least instigate civil wars.)

If the US withdraws and Osama attacks us again, he'll lose the support of the Muslim clerics, because he promised a truce if the US withdrew their troops from the Mideast. The Muslim clerics sharply criticized him for the

9/11 attacks because they believed he should have given the US adequate warning and time to comply with his demands. However they did not withdraw their support for him at that time, though they seemed close to doing so.

Losing the support of the clerics doesn't mean al Qaeda would be destroyed, but it would substantially reduce the amount of help they receive from the people in their area. That would help covert agents gather intelligence on and assassinate key members of the group.

On the other hand, if the US withdraws from Iraq and Afghanistan, it would be saying that terrorists can get whatever they want by attacking the US. Obviously, this is not acceptable.

What's the solution?

Reply to
That Guy

The solution is for the citizens of the aflicted countries to expel the worhtless zealots that do not represent the will of freedom loving people. The citizens have to want it, and until they do the zealots will be around, stalking and killing innocent men women and children.

The Taliban in Afghanistan is much the same as al-Qaida in Iraq, or anywhere else for that matter.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Pretty simple, really.

Tell us how the Russians did....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

We beat Germany....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I beg to differ...

The left (Democrats) caused us to lose in Viet Nam.

They started the war and chickened out. Typical of the left.

A Nam Vet bumper sticker that really is true comes to mind.

"We were winning when I left"

Never trust anything to the left....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Sure is. The Russians did as well as we currently are. In the end, they were forced to smarten-up.

Reply to
FanJet

Of course, but as usual you're argumentlessly wrong..

Reply to
FanJet

Yes we were winning, until the protesters and the anti-war media turned the corner for North Vietnam and the VC. This is burned in the history books and nobody went to jail for the crime of treason.

This is also being tried in a later conflict with Iraq, but the difference this time is we have a president who is brave and uncaring about his own political position and polls under hugh pressure from the left wing party and the left wing media and the hate GWB crowd. He will stick it out and we won't be cutting and running like we did in Vietnam.

Reply to
The always Benevolent dbu.

Yes, we seem to have forgotten that we telegraphed So Damn Insane several months warning to hide all his stuff that still (although the left conveniently forgets) had not been accounted for from the last war. Also anything he may have aquired under the table from the Russians, Germans, and French.

I still think I would have said "Ooops, my hand slipped off this live grenade that I just dropped down the spider hole, and let the door slam back shut on.".

Charles of Schaumburg.

Reply to
n5hsr

It's a tempting thought, but Saddam will certainly end up dancing at the end of a rope. At least this way, with the trial, we get the bene- fit of PR. You can bet your ass and hat that had the troops simply killed him, the Blame America First Society would've pounced on the lack of due process and used it against the U.S.

Also, don't think for a minute that the lesson of our being able to invade a distant country and effect regime change (whatever the complications may have been afterward) was lost on our emerging adversary, Red China. (Yes, I still call them that. To hell with this politically correct "PRC" stuff.) Long-range power projection is something we have that the ChiComs lack, and will for a long time.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

Chi Coms? You mean Billy Clinton's friends? That he helped sell the W83 plans to?

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

Yup, they're the ones, all right.

And to think that the Rosenbergs got the Chair(tm) for doing that sort of thing in *their* day...

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

Then why ain't we warming up old Sparky?

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr