Overcharged AC

You can't hardly buy R-12 at any auto parts stores any more. I've tried looking for friends, and they all quit handling it.. It was high $$$$ when I last bought some. About 35-40 bucks a can. That's why I decided to buy a 30lb can when I came across a deal I couldn't refuse... I got 30 lb's for 85 bucks.. Not bad.. :) I've seen 30 lb's of 12 going for as high as nearly $700-$800 back when the prices were out of sight, and the demand for 12 was still pretty strong. I also need 12 when I work on older refrigerators and freezers.. MK

Reply to
nm5k

I can't help you with the cost, but I recommend using the AC system as much as possible for long AC life. Using the AC system circulated the internal oil and keeps the seals intact. If you have an automatic AC system, leave it engaged year-round and let the system decide whether or not to energize the compressor.

Reply to
Ray O

They said over the phone, that the retrofits are no problem anymore. Early retros had some problems? My 04 Sienna has the 134A as did my

1994 Caravan, no troubles with either one, the caravan I had for 10 years never needed a recharge and so far my 04 Sienna keeps us cool and is A-OK.

BTW, our A/C for the home has the new Puron refrigerant and it really keeps the house cool, I get 53 degree air out of the duct when it's over

90 outside. We've had it for over five years now with no problems at all.
Reply to
dbu,.

Bottom line 850.65

Breakdown of bill

Labor 275.00

New Compressor/Clutch 445.00

Flush Condenser 40.00

Valve 68.00

Evacuate/Service/oil 46.00

R 12 40.00

discount (I'm a nice guy)

Total 795.00

Plus FL Tax 55.65

Total w/tax 850.65

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Up in this neck of the woods R-12 is $80/lb.

Reply to
dbu,.

That is about what I figure too. I was told $200-1500.

Reply to
dbu,.

Early 134-A retrofit kits did not cool very well, and even newer ones do not cool quite as well as the R-12 that was originally installed. IIRC, the factory fill using R-12 was discontinued sometime around 1992, so IMO, it is not unreasonable to have slightly less cooling on a 15 year old AC system. The new retrofit kits work well and seem to have few problems.

Reply to
Ray O

They are selling it on E-Bay for a lot less.

Scott in Florida

I beg to differ.

My air conditioning guy does not agree with you.

IF you can find a competent shop, R 12 will work much better in a R 12 designed system.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Finding an competent shop is the big problem.

I found mine when I HAD to....during my Ford days...LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I spent $30+ to convert the AC in my 1990 Camry to R-134 4 years ago. Recharged it once about two years ago. Had no other problem.I figure it's much cheaper to just recharge it every couple of years than having it fixed using R-12.

Reply to
ZR

Another question, do they have to fix a leak per some federal regulations or can they just revamp the R-12 A/C with R134A and send you on your way?

Reply to
dbu,.

Hmmm, I'm saying that the retrofit kits have gotten better but still do not match an R-12 system. Does your guy say different?

Reply to
Ray O

I don't see why there is such regulation for R134A and how it can be enforced if there is. They can't have everyone to have an annual "AC Leak Check", can they?

My original R-12 AC stopped working and there was not much R-12 left after over ten years. You can ask a shop just to evacuate R-12, buy a R134A kit and do the conversion yourself. It's pretty simple and straightforward. Just make sure you know which side is high pressure, which side is low pressure, do it slowly and watch the pressure gauge.

I don't think there is strict regulation about R134A. Otherwise they wouldn't sell it in any store and anyone can buy it. Except probably you can't buy R134A and release it into the air for fun, -:).

Reply to
ZR

I used one of these kits on an '85 Corolla GTS. The spec I saw said 4LBS of refrigerant. So I put in 2 16 OZ cans, a can of oil, and a can of Super Cool. Same situation as you had. Bled some out and appeared to be running well, nice and cool.

Three days later I turned the AC on, it started getting cold and from under the hood signalled the end of my compressor...

USE GUAGES, and MAKE SURE YOU KNOW HOW MANY POUNDS!!!

I would NOT run the AC until a competant tech checks it with a set of guages, measuring the high side and the low side...

And I'd probably bleed more off. Even though mine was running for a coule of days, it still blew the compressor...

Reply to
Hachiroku

You still have a leak. You should still get the leak fixed. While R-134a is safer for the environment than R12, it still is harmful.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

R134a is not as harmful to the environment as R12, but it is still harmful.

Reply to
Jeff

Florida is hot and humid.

He said, in my case, I would be much happier with the R 12 system restored to original factory specs.

He said 132 would not work as well.

R 12 is still available and has stopped skyrocketing in price.

He would have done either. I trust his judgment and have Ice Cold Air, now.

He also said he was quite happy to find a new Denso compressor.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

They are 'supposed' to fix the leak.

That is the law (at least that is what my air conditioning expert said).

90 percent of the battle is finding the good A/C repair place.
Reply to
Scott in Florida

Yup, a system that is designed to use R-12 will definitely work better using the refrigerant it is designed to use!

Reply to
Ray O