Overhead video monitor install in a Sienna 2002 - DIY or not?

Got a new dvd/mp3 player and 7" video overhead monitor!!! woohooo!!

Havent opened it up yet (save it for the weekend), but was wondering if anyone has installed the overhead monitor in a Toyota Sienna (in the space where the dome light is).

Was looking to get some references/tips or just some general input on the level of difficulty. The unit does come with a mounting plate etc, but I'd like to avoid drilling myself a new moonroof!

I'm hoping its a do-it-yourself kind of job - installation might be mucho $$$

Thanks

Reply to
 TBlade

What I have seen is a kit; you remove the original overhead console behind/between the front seats and install this in it's place, and mount your screen in that.

You may have to look around on line, like Crutchfield, or go to your local tuner store and they can hook you up.

Reply to
HachiRoku

Thanks for the response. I'm thinking more along the lines of the center aisle in the Sienna. Up front might be too distracting, not to mention the small 7" screen size would be virtually distant to the back row. I've seen the pre-installed stuff in one of the newer models, and its in the center aisle as well.

I wonder if there's a trick to remove the center dome lights and also the wiring and connections to hook up the DVD player with the stereo system. I'm assuming that the DVD player bolts under the passenger seat, though there might be alternative alocations.

The darn Toyota owners manual seems to lack detail (!)

Reply to
 TBlade

Actually, this is where I meant. Just behind and above the headrests of the front seats. I know there is a mounting unit available We get ours from Long Radio in Hadley MA.

Reply to
HachiRoku

Reply to
VoicesInMyHead