Overheating Camry

My 1994 Camry went into the garage for a distributer seal change and several other gaskets. Within 2 weeks of this repair, it started overheating. I put it back into the shop as the mechanic declared it to be a worn water pump. I paid him to replace it. It still overheats. I refused to pay the mechanic for more work and replaced the thermostat and cooling fan switch myself. Flushed the radiator and refilled with coolant, not water. Still overheats. I let my friend take it for a test drive and he confirmed the condition I had found to initiate the problem: A hard turn, left or right, like at a stoplight. Otherwise it doesn't overheat. Once the steam starts blowing, hosing water onto the radiator while idleing for several minutes will bring the temps down.

I've run out of ideas. Anyone everheard of overheat-on-turn problems?

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

I'd kind of suspect the engine is heating up while sitting to turn and the lag till reporting shows up after the turn. You might try running the heater on full hot while sitting to see if that keeps the system cool. All the other usual things to consider. Blocked radiator, inside collapsed lower radiator hose, fan, fan relays, thermostat even though it's new, I'm assuming the water pump is driven by the timing belt so a locked AC or power steering pump ought not affect it, blown head gasket, probably a 100 other things also. Anything that would cause the fan relay to shut the fan off. Let us know what you find when you find the cause. Anyway a radiator hose can be pinched when making a turn? Bad motor mounts or dog bone maybe?

Reply to
Mr. Austerity

I'm not seeing any pinch points or evidence thereof.

I'm not sure what you mean about "inside radiator hose".

I plan to change the both visible hoses this week.

If that doesn't fix it, I'll get a radiator.

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

Anything interesting happen under the hood when you have a friend turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and left (while the engine is running, of course)?

Michael

Reply to
Michael