oxygen censor causing engine check light

my engine check light is on, I think because the oxygen censor dectects oxygen in the gas tank. I had this problem a year ago. It may be because the gas cap is not on tight enough and I got careless and forgot about that. How long does it take for the computer to reset ? I live in Mass and need to get it inspected before july, but the light is still on.

Reply to
surf

You didn't say what year your car is, but if it is a '96 or newer, then you can reset the light in a matter of a few seconds at an Autozone store. You can also determine what the fault is instead of guessing.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Where in Mass are you?

If you're in or near NOHO, go to Autozone. They're good guys and they won't BS you there.

Noho Toy wants $100 just to read the codes...

You could disconnect the power to the computer with the car OFF!!!!!!!!!!! but you would lose codes that would help diagnosis. And you need ~100-200 miles in order for it to get enough cycles to pass inspection.

Reply to
Hachiroku

The oxygen sensor does not detect oxygen in the gas tank. The oxygen sensor detects oxygen in the exhaust gas.

If your vehicle is a 1996 model year or later, the check engine light will come on if you do not tighten the gas cap enough. You should always tighten the gas cap until you hear several clicks.

If a loose gas cap caused the check engine light and it is now tight, it should go off by itself in a few days. As others have suggested, Autozone will check your codes for no charge. If you go to Autozone, write down the trouble codes and report back. If the only code is P0440, you can reset the codes and everything should be ok.

Reply to
Ray O

You only lose codes on an older car with that method (like my '91 celica) - OBDII cars can hold some of the more substantial codes in non-volatile memory. Best to take it to a diag place to get them checked out.

BTW to the OP - as far as i know theres no oxygen sensor in the gas tank, the O2 sensor is used to control fuelling at cruise speeds and keep your car efficient. Theres always oxygen in the gas tank.

Coyoteboy

I have a 2000 Avalon. I had check engine light come on due to loose gas cap. It was on for over a week. I disconnected battery and it reset itself.

Reply to
ray

I believe that the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) has 2-trip detection logic for evaporative emissions. There are parameters for "two trips" and if you do not meet those parameters, then it will take a lot longer for the MIL to be extinguished. Disconnecting the battery is a hassle because you need to reset your clock and radio presets, and if you have to go for an emissions check right after you have cleared the memory, then the ECU's memory might have been cleared of normal codes.

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
surf

The OBD II Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) for bank 1 sensor 1 heater circuit malfunction is P0135.

P0031 is not a generic OBD II DTC. Here is a list of generic OBD DTC's :

$300 sounds kind of high for an aftermarket O2 sensor. You may want to see what the price is at your local Toyota dealer. You didn't mention what kind of vehicle you have, but if itis a 4 cylinder, bank 1 sensor 1 is pretty easy to reach. It will be sticking out of the exhaust manifold.

If you have a transverse-mounted 6 cyclinder engine, then bank 1 is towards the firewall and harder to reach.

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
surf

Use someone like:

for your 02 sensor, Mr T wants well over =A3100 UK + VAT for one in this country but you can get them for

Reply to
Coyoteboy

could midas muffler do this kind of work reliably ?

Coyoteboy wrote:

Reply to
surf

No!

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

could midas muffler do this kind of work reliably ?

You could do it yourself just as reliably, if not more reliably, using OEM parts and without having to cut the factory wire harness. Just unplug the old sensor, unbolt the sensor, reverse the process. If you can change a spark plug or a spare tire, you can change an O2 sensor, particularly on an engine that is mounted longitudinally.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O