Oxygen Sensor 98 Sienna

Hi folks, I know I posted about this some time ago, but that was on another computer in another world. I ask that you indulge me again please, thanks. After running it this way with no problem for a time, I need to get it through inspection now and thus am actually addressing the issue now.

98 Sienna 190K miles with the code P0155 Bank 2 Sensor 1.

Is this for the front sensor or the rear sensor?

Where is the sensor on the vehicle?

Any tricks I need to know to replace it?

Best place to buy it?

I remember from the discussion that getting an OEM part is the best way to go and that it was more $$ but not all that much more and it has the right connections. I have been googling around a bit and I see a series of Bosch O2 sensors that are either generic or have the right connector. Are the Bosch sensors what Toyota uses or do they use something else?

I think that is it for now. If I ought to be asking anything else please let me know, thanks. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Bosch sensors work fine on different makes I use them on. Toyota OEM uses the cheaper Denso sensors, the kind generated many TSBs and some damaged catalytic converters. I personally would stay away from the Denso junk. BTW, Toyota's recent racing wins were on Bosch spark plugs. They certainly don't want to use Densos in those.

Try rockauto.com, Autozone, or locate a retail store using

(Checkers, Schucks, Kragen, Advance Auto, Murrays). Use Bosch PLANAR sensors instead of Denso stuff. Autozone has free loaner socket tools:

The non-calif upstream & downstream Bosch 15733 is an excellent PLANAR type sensor. This "universal" one requires you to splice the old connector onto the new sensor. Or you can spend $20 more for OEM connector style.

Upstream non-Calif Bosch OEM connector 13354 $80.79 Upstream Calif Bosch 13623 (superceded by 13353 OEM connector $79.79) Downstream non-Calif & Calif "universal" need to splice $57.79 downstream OEM connector 13623 (superceded by 13353 OEM connector $79.79)

Reply to
johngdole

Bank 2 Sensor 1 is the sensor that comes off of the front exhaust manifold. If you look at the front exhaust manifold, you should see a pigtail coming off of the right side of the manifold just above where the exhaust pipe attaches.

There is a guy in the Toyota Yahoo group that talks about this on line source for Toyota parts:

"For oem Toyota parts, check

(888-271-3948), Bob Bridge Toyota in Wash. state. Very good prices (comparable to NAPA) and service. If you call, identify yourself as an internet customer to get internet prices. Good luck."

If the original part lasted 190K miles, then there is a pretty good chance that a replacement OEM part will last about the same length of time. Toyota's OEM supplier is Denso. An aftermarket part may or may not last longer. If you go aftermarket, get the kind with the factory connection so you do not have to splice wires, because improperly spliced wires often cause problems.

Reply to
Ray O

"Ray O" ...

Thanks to all 3 of you guys. I will let you know how putting it on goes. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

You're welcome! BTW, one more trick: spray some penetrating fluid (PB Blaster works well) the night before you attempt the repair and gently tap the manifold near where the sensor mounts. Be stingy with the fluid and wipe off any that runs down the manifold so you don't have a fire. When you loosen the sensor, turn it just enough to break it loose, spray a little more penetrating fluid, being sure to wipe off the excess, then remove the sensor. You don't want to strip the threads on the manifold or you will need a new one. Once you get the sensor off, wipe as much penetrating fluid off as you can to reduce the possibility that the replacement sensor will be affected by the fumes and to reduce the possibility of the stuff catching fire on the hot manifold.

Reply to
Ray O

"Ray O" ...

OK, thanks Ray. I will do this. PB Blaster is indeed my friend.... Tomes

Reply to
Tomes