P0302 Multiple misfire cylinder 2

OK, my 1999 camry has thrown a P0302 code. I've changed plugs,wires, and swapped coils-- no luck same code. I'm about to change the injector which will probably fix the issue but here is my question. How does the computer "know" that a specific cylinder has misfired. By that I mean what sensors are involved in the diagnoses by the computer that a misfire has occurred? Thanks for any information.

Reply to
hydelake

hydelake wrote in news:ff6a9556-480c-4125-b842- snipped-for-privacy@d77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Get a compression test done.

To an OBD-II computer, "misfire" means nothing more than that the crankshaft has failed to accelerate consistently with each cylinder's firing impulse. The crank angle sensor tells the computer which cylinder/s is/are lagging.

You might have excellent combustion but poor compression.

Reply to
Tegger