pending DTC code on OBD II

If it was still covered by the emissions warranty, I would not reset the code, leave the check engine light illuminated, and take it to a dealer. If it was not covered by the emissions warranty, I'd clear the code and drive. If it come on again after that, check the indicated and related components.

Reply to
Ray O

I've never heard of the "pending code" term before. To me, it is not a useful feature on a consumer oriented OBD II scanner.

Reply to
Ray O

Use Temporary and Pending interchangeably. From a study guide for ASE L-1 test:

Trip: A trip is a key on cycle in which all enable criteria for a particular diagnostic monitor are met and the diagnostic monitor is run, The trip is completed when the ignition switch is turned off.

One Trip Monitors: A failure on the first trip of a "one trip" emissions diagnostic monitor causes the PCM to immediately store a DTC and Freeze Frame, and turn on the MIL. All Comprehensive Component monitors require only one fault.

My note: (on the first trip during which the Comprehensive Component monitor detects a failure that will result in emissions exceeding a predetermed level it sets a code)

Two Trip Monitors: A failure on the first trip of a "two trip" emissions diagnostic monitor causes the PCM to store a temporary DTC. If the failure does not reappear on the next trip, the temporary is cleared from the memory. If the failure does recur on the next trip, the PCM will store a DTC store a DTC and Freeze Frame, and turn on the MIL. All System monitors listed are two trip monitors. Fuel Control Engine Misfire Catalic Converter EGR system EVAP system O2 Sensors

02 sensor heaters

Reply to
Steve H

Toyota/Lexus vehicles have very few false converter codes. The sensor is much less costly.

(no, I don't get referral$) has helped me several times in the past.

Reply to
Bo Yancey

Ahhh... Pending Code is one occurence of a completed and failed monitor (test). It is pending because the code is a 'two-trip' code and it has to fail twice to set the MIL (ck eng light).

Reply to
Bo Yancey

I have seen "unassigned", I _assumed_ that pending and unassigned were similar.

I've since been educated that some circuits will post a code more than once, and keep a tally. If the tally is accumulated to a certain level, then the Check light will come on, but if codes are pulled before the tally count meets the limit, then the code is shown as "pending."

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks. I was living under a rock. I thought that pending and unassigned were similar. Oops.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

IC...well, I suppose you made a reasonable assumption then. I've found that it isn't safe to assume anything unless you so indicate. But that's me...YMMV...

Reply to
Gord Beaman